93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Spark plugs & wires replacement 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Default RE: HOW TO: Spark plugs & wires replacment

I've had to do mine twice because the ignition coils and the wires burned up.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

great thread.... I have done my own mechanical work for over 20 years, but......every car is different. thanks stig

Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So the best way the get to the plugs are going under the car looking up?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ghost32

So the best way the get to the plugs are going under the car looking up?
It depends which plug your going after. For a couple of the front ones, you are better off going at them from above. But for most of them, you are better off comming at them from underneith.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Cool. Good looking out Stig

Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 PM

Stig, what year is your car? The reason I ask is that I just finished changing the plugs in my '02, and I had no trouble reaching all but one of the plugs (the back plug on the driver's side) from the top. Looking at the pictures you posted, it appears there is a heat shield or something on the passenger side right below the valve cover that isn't on my car, so that may be why I can get to the plugs from the top so easliy. As you noted, the only ***** about the job was getting the old wires off. I literally had to break one of the plugs because the wire refused to come off.

Oh, and whoever it was that posted about fuel spraying all over when they changed the fuel filter - youshould alwaysrelieve the pressure in the lines before you work on any part of the fuel system. The easiest way to do that is to just remove the fuse for the fuel pump (it's in one of the fuse boxes under the hood) and crank the engine 2 or 3 times. I just changed my filter also, and while a fair amount of fuel did drain out of the lines it wasn't under pressure and didn't spray anywhere.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EarlR

Stig, what year is your car? The reason I ask is that I just finished changing the plugs in my '02, and I had no trouble reaching all but one of the plugs (the back plug on the driver's side) from the top. Looking at the pictures you posted, it appears there is a heat shield or something on the passenger side right below the valve cover that isn't on my car, so that may be why I can get to the plugs from the top so easliy. As you noted, the only ***** about the job was getting the old wires off. I literally had to break one of the plugs because the wire refused to come off.
My car is a 1998 and should have a near simaler set up as your car. Maybe someone removed the heat sheilds from your manifolds?

These are old photos of my engine, I now dont have any of those heat sheilds or manifolds so I can't really say why yours is different.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: TheStig

My car is a 1998 and should have a near simaler set up as your car. Maybe someone removed the heat sheilds from your manifolds?

These are old photos of my engine, I now dont have any of those heat sheilds or manifolds so I can't really say why yours is different.
Yeah, maybe someone got to them before me and got so frustrated that they yanked them out[sm=smiley20.gif] I should find them and thank them. Considering the car had 63k miles when I got it, I guess anything is possible.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

excuse me but could you repost or give me a link to the first pic for somereason its not showing up. thank you and this will be a big help for me since my cars almost at 90,000miles and i have yet to change the plugs

Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: djsevilways

excuse me but could you repost or give me a link to the first pic for somereason its not showing up. thank you and this will be a big help for me since my cars almost at 90,000miles and i have yet to change the plugs
Step #1 is just un hooking the battery so you dont get electroshocked out of exsistance. I edited it into the Orginal Post.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs & wires replacement 3.8