93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Headers???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Default Headers???

Can anyone give me any tips as to purchasing headers? I have a 96 camaro 3.8 v6 with a 5spd. I want to put headers on it but Im not sure which ones I need. Also I was reading about pace setters armor coat is this necessary for my car, or can I use the plain black? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

always go with a ceramic coating over a painted one. Ceramic is better at retaining heat, keeps rust away better and lasts much longer. There aren't many options for the 3.8, Pacesetter is one of the only ones available and they only offer them midlength headers.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

Save yourself the headache the 3.8 pacesetters suck because they leak at the egr. If you feel brave go for it but i sometimes regret it.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM

would you recommend headers for my car? Does anyone else have them and like them?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 AM

I've always wanted to get headers and the Pacesetters are the only ones in my price range, but I have heard that they leak often and tend to get the check engine light to turn on frequently, so I decided to skip out on it.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 PM

If thats the case maybe I will to, do any of you have any information how to get alittle extra power outta my 3.8 it has a flowmaster catback, and a slp cold air intake unit on it. Any more suggestions I just got the car about 2 months ago and was thinking about some plugs and wires? MSD wires and stock plugs, or copper plugs?

Last edited by S. Toth; 01-06-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 PM

I have ceramic Pacesetters on my '96 and have had no problems in over two years. No SES light, no leaks.

I installed it the same time as a tuned PCM so I can't tell you how much power increase was due to the headers and to the PCM, independently.

Don't look for any real power gains from new plugs/wires unless your existing combo is causing your car to not run right, in which case you are simply re-gaining power and not CREATING new power.

One of the better mods that I did, that I could feel right away, is swapping out the two-piece steel driveshaft for a one-piece aluminum one.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

On the 96 the headers are one of the better upgrades. The stock manifolds suck. The 99up manifolds are not too bad. I installed the OBX stainless headers. I have had no problems with them. I am told they are clones of the pacesetters.

I did not like the way the 96 EGR valve connected to the headers so I used the connection off a 02.

Name:  assem_engine2.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  99.5 KB

Last edited by Gorn; 01-06-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I literally just put in the pacesetter headers on my 3.8. Honestly they were a bit of a headache getting on but it was my first header job I ever done. I do have a leak on my egr where it connects to the manifold but that is an easy fix. Just need to rebend the tube a little bit. I also welded a high flow cat and put a new cat back on. Both of which are magnaflow. I think it all sounds great. It deff sounds a lot better too when I string out the gears. My suggestion is this the headers are good but only if you upgrade the cat and the muffler. Will it give you the sound and power of a v8? No. But you will feel better about your cat. I know I do.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:14 PM

Hey sorry haven't been on in awhile. I just did a full tune up on my car new plugs"very fun to do..." new wires, fuel filter, and I put a better coil pack on it. I have a slp cold air intake with the dual induction. I was wondering if the filters on them were washable, and if not where to pick up some new ones? Also when I got the car I changed the oil immediately and again about 500 miles later. Its been about 2500miles and Im wondering if you guys have any ideas on a good oil to use?

Quick Reply: Headers???