93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

1518 Code - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Default 1518 Code - Help Please

So I've done some research and obviously getting code 1518 and Reduced Eng Pwr light are a common problem among the 3.8 V6's. Unfortunately I have only found one person who posted that they actually fixed the problem, everything else was just suggestions of "what the problem sounded like" I know the problem has to do with the Throttle Actuator Control/PCM. I started getting the problems a few weeks ago, I could get it started after playing with it for a while but after a few days of doing that it wont start at all now.

I had the codes cleared twice, and it started up fine just like everyone else is saying theirs did, however last time I had them cleared it would not start. The car is just under 150k miles. I took the air intake off, cleaned it, cleaned inside the throttle system (removed mass airflow to keep from getting wet), took the mass air flow sensor out today to checked it, it was clean as a whistle. I saw one guy fixed his by removing a piece of carbon from the coils on the mass airflow. I disconnected the battery and that did not work. I am now prepared to pay the substantial amount of cash for the electronic throttle body. Thats what is looking to be the problem.

I was hoping somebody that has fixed their problems like this could save me a few hundred bucks by telling me what they did to theirs please??? I just bought the car in February, starting modding it, put in new tails, halos, SS hood & spoiler and the DAY I bought the hood I ran into all this!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Droid

Before spending a bunch of money for a new TAC module, you may want to get it diagnosed by someone with a TECH2 unit. Have the entire system checked out from gas pedal to the TAC. If the relationship between the gas pedal and the TAC are not correct, or if there are wiring problems the engine may go into limp mode or fail to start.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I printed off some wire and voltage diagrams so that's what I'm doing today. Now...the halos I put in fit a little different than the stock headlights, a bit of wires were exposed at one point but there were no bare wires exposed to my knowledge, I've been wondering if maybe that put a bur in the electric/alarm system somewhere and If the car's not just in no start mode. Like I've said before, I cleared the codes out a few times, but after about 3 or 4 of getting it started it finally wont start at all. I've had a few different mechanics use two different types of computers on the car too, however I'm not sure what type the computers were.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:42 PM

OK, I had some success so I thought I would share it for all the other fellas having the same problems. As you know the reduced eng pwr light is associated with the voltage/throttle body/TAC system. Well I checked all the wires near the fuse box, and all of the fuses to make sure they were fine. The fuses were all good, but one wire connecting from the battery and the fuse box had no voltage running through it. I replaced that wire with a new one and ran it, got rid of my Reduced ENG PWR light.

However, two times after doing that, I noticed when I turned the ignition switch off, the car would still be running. Luckily my camaro's a 5 speed so i just let the clutch out in gear, but the electronics wouldnt turn off either. To solve the problem temporarily till I could have it looked at again I just disconnected one of the battery terminals. I never had that looked at, but I've not had the problem again.

As for the REDUCED ENG PWR light, I never got it again either. Basically cost me nothing to fix when I was prepared to pay around $500 for a new throttle body.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Tech Droid

If you have any more problems, chck this link out. Info is for LS1 but also applies to your engine.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-di...1518-help.html

Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

moved your thread to the 4th gen v6 section. welcome to the forum.