93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Sound System

Hey guys haven't been on here in a while due to work and school starting, but i'm coming close to the amount required to get the products i want for a sound system. I'll try to provied much info as possible, what I'd like to know is that is this set-up "good" and other things such as will i need a capacitor/capcell if i go with this set up

I'm basically going everything alpine, speakrs, sub, head-unit, and amp.

Alpine MPR-M1000- Amplifier
RMS Power Per Channel Into 4 Ohms: 600W X 1
RMS Power Per Channel Into 2 Ohms: 1000W X 1

Alpine Type X 10' Sub-Dual Voice Coil
1,000 Watts RMS

Alpine SPS-600 Speakers
80 Watts RMS

Alpine Headunit
18 Watts RMS

Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You won't need a cap for that amp. You only really need a cap if you're pushing 1500watts rms or more. As for getting all Alpine stuff, I think it's a waste of money. You can get better sounding stuff for half the price. All you're paying for is the name. However, I would definitely recommend the Alpine head unit. That is the foundation of any stereo system. If you're going to run speakers that are rated for 80watts rms, then you'll definitely need an amp to push them! I would run something more like 50-60watts rms and get a small amp to push them. You'll save money that way and still have a killer sounding system. As for a sub/subs. I prefer RE-Audio. My next choice is Kicker. I would run 10" Kicker CVR's. They have a great sound and in the back of a Camaro they'll sound like two 1500watt 12's. Camaro's were absolutely the best cars for producing bass. With that being said, DO NOT go with a 1000watt rms sub. You will be displeased with how obnoxiously loud it is. Something along the lines of 400watts rms will be plenty to set off car alarms lol. Like I said, I would go with two Kicker CVR 10's backed up by a Kenwood 1800watt amp. That will give you 450 true watts to each sub and you can turn the gain down on the amp to make it about 380-400 true watts going to the subs. They'll be able to take the full beating of 450 though. I've done in numerous times installing systems. You could still use that amp if you wanted to run only one sub too! (difference in 4ohms and 2ohms) depending on how you wire it. I assume you were looking at one 10" so you can stuff it in the side compartment of the well so you still have the storage room. Anyways, any other questions, lemme know. I've been installing car audio and selling it for 3 years now. I'm pretty savvy in that area lol.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well i had original planned to get the kicker l7 which is like 600 watts rms
basically what i wanna do is i dont wanna mix and match companies, it looks kinda tacky to me if you know what i mean. like i said before i originally planned to get the kicker l7 with a kicker amp, but believe it or not when i stumbled along this alpine stuff its cheaper, the subwoofer is around 180 bucks which i think is a steal and the amp is around 220, and yeah i was going to stuff it into the well towards the drivers side. so if i get those speakers i have to have an amp as well for them?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you get speakers that are 80watts rms, you'll need an amp to push them. It's not required but to get the best sound from them, you need to push at least 75% of what they can handle. Mixing different brands within one sound system isn't a bad thing at all. In fact some companies are better with speakers than subs. Some companies are better with subs than speakers. It might be a better idea to mix it up a little bit. Like I said, I've been installing stuff for a while and I've never put ONE single brand in a car before. It's usually Alpine head unit, Boston Acoustic speakers or JL Audio speakers, Kicker subs or RE Audio subs, and usually a Kenwood, Hifonics, JL Audio, or Kicker amp.
My car has a Kenwood head unit, RE Audio speakers, Kicker subs, and Kicker amps and it sounds amazing. It's all about how much money you want to spend.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i agree with chaotic the only thing alpine makes that any good is there head units speakers and amps not so much kicker by far is where its at for the money theres a reason why there slogan is Livin Loud because there LOUD my buddy had 2 12in L7s with a 1500 watt monoblock while may other buddy had 2 12in audiobahns and 2 15in audiobahns with 4 500 watt amps (one for each sub) and it sounded really good almost hurt to breath but the L7s... OMG first off max volume could not be reached he would break glass hes done it b4 the wing on his trunk vibrated sooooo much that the ends snapped off and it sounded good very clean true bass not obnoxious from the inside... from the outside it kinda sounded like a blender
by the way both cars were 02 sunfires

Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sunfires are cute lol. They're Pontiac's version of the Cavalier lol

Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

haha sunfires are cute lol <<<
uhm so chaotic you said that around 400rms watts is the perfect amount of bass? well if thats the case then I'm gonna stick with the kicker l7 then, alpine head unit, kicker amp, and I'll figure out what speakers,
I appreciate the info/tips guys helps alot

Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Boston Acoustics makes really awesome speakers. You have a choice between Component sets or Coaxial sets. Do you know the difference?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Oh also if you're only going to rub one sub, I'd go with something more like 500-600watts rms.I would go with this if I were you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RE-AUDIO-SE10-10...item53e36f767c
Along with this amp:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-KAC-9105...item5889f2888a

Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Isn't basically coaxial speakers where the tweeter and the speaker are together
and the component speakers are where theyre seperate?

Quick Reply: Sound System