93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Service Engine soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Unhappy Service Engine soon Light

Hey all, I have a 1994 Camaro V-6 that the air bag, ABS, and Service engine soon lights are staying on.

Lets start with the ABS, I have replaced all the light bulbs in the tail lights and the center brake light and they seem to be working just fine. I did have the center brake lights out and the ABS light was on. I replace the center brake light bulbs and the ABS light went off for a bit, but after about three or four days, it came back on. Any suggestions?

Ok, the air bag light just recently came on. I have checked the fuse, looked in the Chiltons and not sure what to do without taking the car into the shop. Let me know what I can check here.

Now the Service engine soon light: it comes and goes. I have tryed to have the CPU read and it would not put out any codes. I have recently replaced the gas cap, plugs, did the sea foam. I do seem to have a mis fire but not sure. Was thinking of replacing the o2 sensors and plug wires. let me know if you have any suggestions.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

On mine the service engine light and low oil light come on. IDK what is up with low oil because it's fine. I ran a scanner and got a couple of codes. I have DTC 77 left front solenoid circuit shorted to ground. I also go DTC 75, which is the EGR solenoid error. I also got DTC 82 ABS calibration malfunction. I have just gone on driving the car with no problems, until I have time to really investigate and replace these. If you want any info on these, I can get you full procedures. Also, if you can get codes I can get you procedures and code meanings

Old 04-21-2009, 04:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I've had an intermittent SES light for about 4 years now. Still hasn't stopped running or given a noticeable change in mileage. I even changed the O2 sensors, but no joy.

How's your voltage? ABS light is usually the first thing to pop on when the alternator goes out and you're running on battery.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Does your car misfire? If so, is it intermittent? All the time? Low RPM? High RPM?

I would first check the plug wires to make sure you're getting spark. High RPM misfire is indicative of O2 sensors dying out as well. Have you checked your coil packs? Coils are notorious for going out on these vehicles...

Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by evilkal
Does your car misfire? If so, is it intermittent? All the time? Low RPM? High RPM?
Me? It idles rough, but never misses. Pretty sure my problem is a leaky intake manifold gasket, or some other vacuum issue I'm not terribly worried about. It went away when I let the car sit for a few months, but then I went and revved the engine full throttle a couple times and must've sucked out whatever dirt was sealing it because both the high-pitched whine and the SES light have returned. Oh well.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 PM
4th Gear Member

Sorry was asking the OP =P The ABS could be a bad sensor. And the air bag light is also probably a bad sensor.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:27 PM

evilkal, My car does seem to miss a bit. I have been thinking of replacing the wires. i just put the engine in. I had to replace the 3.4 when i bought the car and did not have alot of extra cash to replace the wires, but I did put in new plugs, oil, filter and air filter. The car seems to miss more at idle in nuetral. It sits at about 1000 rpm at idle. I was thinking this is a bit high, but I am not sure how to fix this. Let me know if you have any ideas. I really want to get this thing squared away. I just put an 80 series flowmaster on there and want this thing to sound good and run that way too. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

thanks.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak man. Actually the missing at idle sounds like a MAF sensor problem.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

just an idea... I had the ses light and the abs inop lights coming on in my car... I reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a while. haven't come back on since. they light up when I start the car so I know they work... they just dont stay on. what the heck, its free.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Default Checking wires and coils next

evilkal,

I have tried for a vacuum leak. I used the carb cleaner method with no results. I have switched the MAF with another, but not much changed. I will do the plug wires this week end. Can you, or anyone else tell me how to check my coils. I am wondering if that may be it. I have tried to check the codes a few times, but i can not get the computer to read them. I went to a Checkers and the guy was not able to get it to work and niether was I. Please let me know if you have any Ideas.

Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: Service Engine soon Light