93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Series III Swap- PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Series III Swap- PCM?

I'm currently swapping out my old Series II motor for a Series III and was wondering if I needed to change my pcm out with a newer one because it is a different motor with slightly larger heads. Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:18 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

nope. could get yours tuned and pick up even more hp

Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by craby
nope. could get yours tuned and pick up even more hp
+1 the .020" larger valves will not "need" a tune. A set of headers and some 1.6 rockers with a good CAI then the tune would wake it up a little more.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks so much. I bought the motor with no PCM, so I was getting a little skeptical. Anyone know a place where I can get all the gaskets and seals I will need when I swap all the accessories and stuff Im gonna need or atleast a list of parts I will need?

Old 09-19-2014, 10:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 09-19-2014, 11:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
I did, but it never showed any details about what gaskets or seals I needed to buy.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:48 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your going to need to replace the intake, both upper and lower gaskets. oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, exhaust gaskets. basically a head job gasket set with oil pan gasket. would be a good idea to replace head gaskets to just so you dont have to worry about it. head gasket is known to fail if antifreeze is not maintained regularly

Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Xios
I did, but it never showed any details about what gaskets or seals I needed to buy.
I am in the middle of the same exact project you are. My new motor is out of a 2006 Buick LaCerne. I bought oil pan set, upper and lower intake set, exhaust manifold, valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets at O'Reilly Auto, they are Felpro. The lower intake gaskets are the aluminum ones, and most all the gaskets have the raised rubber seals imbedded in them (whatever you call that). The sets all have the extra smaller gaskets and orings and such as needed. I also bought the aluminum elbows to replace those plastic ones on the idler pulley housing.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by datafan
I am in the middle of the same exact project you are. My new motor is out of a 2006 Buick LaCerne. I bought oil pan set, upper and lower intake set, exhaust manifold, valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets at O'Reilly Auto, they are Felpro. The lower intake gaskets are the aluminum ones, and most all the gaskets have the raised rubber seals imbedded in them (whatever you call that). The sets all have the extra smaller gaskets and orings and such as needed. I also bought the aluminum elbows to replace those plastic ones on the idler pulley housing.
Thats awesome, mine came out of a 05 grand prix. Only 42k miles. How far along on yours are you? My motor is put together completely, just waiting on the clutch so we can put it back on the k member and back into the car. I used fel pro gaskets as well.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Xios
Thats awesome, mine came out of a 05 grand prix. Only 42k miles. How far along on yours are you? My motor is put together completely, just waiting on the clutch so we can put it back on the k member and back into the car. I used fel pro gaskets as well.
It's been done for a few weeks now, I've put about 700 miles on it so far. I ended up putting some pacesetter headers on it while I had the motor out. Glad I did.
Here's pics of the project, sorry they are in random order I plan to put an article together and fix up the website. My daughter helped me pull the old motor, that's her green camaro in the background :-)
200 Camaro Engine Swap

Quick Reply: Series III Swap- PCM?