93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Possible Engines for swap? (not your typical swap question)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Possible Engines for swap? (not your typical swap question)

Im going to be helping my friend with a radical engine swap. Its a VH-45 out of an inifinty in a 240sx. Its a VERY RARE and Powerful swap. So it got me thinking. I was curious to do some radical swap. Something out of the ordinary as in no LS/T1, 383s, 327s, 454s. I want something that is FAIRLY easy to swap in but doesnt have to be a direct fit. I wanted to put in a 2GR-FE V6 from Toyota in but its set up for front wheel drive. So Im not sure if there is a way to make it into rear wheel drive but I kind of didnt think so. Let me know what ideas you have for an insane swap or if there is a way to make the 2GR work.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
2nd Gear member

ACTUALLY, still let me know if that swap could work or any other swap ideas, but also, would a 2JZ swap work? The inline 6 is already set up to be rear wheel drive.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:39 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah I would say the 2JZ would work. Most of my buddies are into imports and stuff like that and I think I have heard them say that T56s can be attached to a 2JZ with the right bellhousing, but I'm not entirely sure. Since Z28/TA use T56s, I don't see why it would be an all out crazy swap, but then again, since it's an inline 6, it's longer than a SBC.

If your into inline 6, you could also try to get your hands on an E46 from an M3 or maybe even an E92 V8 from the never M3s. There's also VR6 from a dub can be built pretty serious. Sickest thing would be a boxer motor from an STI or an Evo motor (not sure of the name). There's quite a few possibilities and would be way cool to see.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by timmyz28
Yeah I would say the 2JZ would work. Most of my buddies are into imports and stuff like that and I think I have heard them say that T56s can be attached to a 2JZ with the right bellhousing, but I'm not entirely sure. Since Z28/TA use T56s, I don't see why it would be an all out crazy swap, but then again, since it's an inline 6, it's longer than a SBC.

If your into inline 6, you could also try to get your hands on an E46 from an M3 or maybe even an E92 V8 from the never M3s. There's also VR6 from a dub can be built pretty serious. Sickest thing would be a boxer motor from an STI or an Evo motor (not sure of the name). There's quite a few possibilities and would be way cool to see.
Yea, the boxer engine would be a lot of insane work. The car would have to be re set up to be awd than. Another radical design I was thinking of but i would need A TON of cash for, would be taking the 2GR-FE which is front wheel drive, and making the camaro a mid/rear engine car. So the front wheel drive would actually be good for doing that. A V6 260 torque 246hp rear engine camaro. That would be nuts. Even the MR2 which is only an inline 4 with around 150hp is one of the best handling cars because of the mid engine and because of how small they are, they are one of the fastest cars on the road even completely stock, but even if the camaro weighs more, having that engine in it should make it equal.

I think I might look into doing the 2jz swap than. Ive only seen it done in a 70's camaro. If your friends know of any right ups and/or parts list for the swap, that would be great.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah, I'll ask them about any stuff like that and what it might take for something like that. But would you be able to do a mid engine in a camaro? You would have the take the rear out, completely cut that whole section out and re-fab to fit the motor, make it work, and then cover it up into an actual engine bay. That might be way too much. I think AWD would be easier and cooler to do. Imagine AWD launches in a camaro!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by timmyz28
Yeah, I'll ask them about any stuff like that and what it might take for something like that. But would you be able to do a mid engine in a camaro? You would have the take the rear out, completely cut that whole section out and re-fab to fit the motor, make it work, and then cover it up into an actual engine bay. That might be way too much. I think AWD would be easier and cooler to do. Imagine AWD launches in a camaro!
Thats why i said i would need a ton of money for the mid engine swap because of all the fab work. the mid engine would have the same kind of launch as a rear wheel because of all the weight being on the rear wheels. id just be afraid of constant wheelies. haha. I think the boxer engine would be easier as well, but still would take more money than a general rwd swap like the 2jz because of you needing to change the whole set up in the front to take axels to the front wheels. I think either or, if the money was there would be amazing! I think I might just go with the 2jz for now. It should be simple enough but still pretty astonishing.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:08 PM
2nd Gear member

You can do just about anything with the right tools and skill. I would say the most important thing is clearance. One of the main problems with putting a bigger engine in a fourth gen is they are too tall. This may or may not be a problem with the engine you're thinking about using.

I wouldn't know where to start with a mid-engine set-up other than having to tear EVERYTHING out of the car.

Putting a Toyota engine in a Camaro isn't my thing, but it would definitely be unique.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Start with a tape measure. Camaro bay is pretty shallow. I don't know you but do you have any idea what your doing? Do you know and understand Drive line angles? Do you have a machine shop or some fabication skills? To fab up engine like this it takes alot of test fits a car lift would make it 100 times easier since the motor installs from the bottom.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
You can do just about anything with the right tools and skill. I would say the most important thing is clearance. One of the main problems with putting a bigger engine in a fourth gen is they are too tall. This may or may not be a problem with the engine you're thinking about using.

I wouldn't know where to start with a mid-engine set-up other than having to tear EVERYTHING out of the car.

Putting a Toyota engine in a Camaro isn't my thing, but it would definitely be unique.
Eve if the motor sticks up a little bit, I can fab the hood to make it work, or get a 3" cowl hood, or Id figure something out, I always do.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Start with a tape measure. Camaro bay is pretty shallow. I don't know you but do you have any idea what your doing? Do you know and understand Drive line angles? Do you have a machine shop or some fabication skills? To fab up engine like this it takes alot of test fits a car lift would make it 100 times easier since the motor installs from the bottom.
I am pretty good at fabrication. Ive mostly done just panel body work. Havent touched the engine bay yet. I do have a decent idea of what I am doing, I have done a few engine swaps already, and like I said, Ill have experience with a custom install soon. That VH-45 with a fairlady trans in the s14 is going to be nothing but custom.

Quick Reply: Possible Engines for swap? (not your typical swap question)