93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

p0441 in 97 3.8L

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 PM

thanks, that diagrams very helpful ya it looks like that hose is supposed to be open to the atmosphere that would explain why it was so difficult to find out where it connects too. All my other vacuum hoses looked fine under the hood, do you think i should just replace my evap canister? If all my vacuum hoses seem to be ok what else could cause the p0441 (insufficient purge flow) code to come on?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you smell any fuel odor around the car? Particularly under the hood or at that back wheel? If not, then there's probably not a big problem.

My car still intermittently gets that code if I strain the engine too much, like if I try to accellerate in too high a gear. But then the code goes away. I think that in my case, it's because the evap canister is old and getting worn out. I replaced the original one with one from a junkyard, so it's probably not in the best shape.

Here's the list of things that might need to be replaced, in order from cheapest to most expensive:
Gas cap
Hoses and connectors
Purge solenoid and purge vent switch (under the hood)
Charcoal canister
Fuel tank (and/or seals, like around the fuel pump)

Where do you hear the vacuum leak coming from? If it sounds like it's that canister leaking air, replace it. If it sounds like it's coming from the fuel tank, take it back to the folks who replaced the fuel pump, and tell them they didn't seal it properly.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 PM

The vacuum leak doesn't come from the rear of the vehicle it more sounds like its from the engine bay. Its more of a hissing noise, may be an exhaust leak. I just wish i could fix this code. I'm not concerned about it, the car runs fine. Its just an issue of incase i ever decide to sell the car. Is the charcoal canister the same as the evap canister?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, they're the same thing.

If you're getting this code, it's definitely a vac leak, not exhaust leak. If it's a constant leak, check the purge switch. That's on the passenger side of the engine, near the back but not so far back that it's hard to reach. It's got two vac hoses and a vent hose connected, just like the canister does. The back hose goes around the back of the engine. The front hose goes forward to the solenoid, then to the TB.

Here's a pic of what it looks like:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=373012

If it's a constant leak, that valve could be stuck open, letting clean air in. Listen to it with a rubber hose to your ear, and see if that's where the noise is coming from, or you can probably google some info on how to test it with a multimeter.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Overdrive Member
Unhappy

Did you read the GM technote on this code I posted?

You can lead a horse to water...

Originally Posted by 97redcamaro
thanks, that diagrams very helpful ya it looks like that hose is supposed to be open to the atmosphere that would explain why it was so difficult to find out where it connects too. All my other vacuum hoses looked fine under the hood, do you think i should just replace my evap canister? If all my vacuum hoses seem to be ok what else could cause the p0441 (insufficient purge flow) code to come on?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Did you read the GM technote on this code I posted?

You can lead a horse to water...
Sometimes those GM technotes are long and ridiculously hard to follow. For the DIYer, a simple list of "check this, then that" is often more helpful.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 AM

i understand an exhaust leak would not cause that code, but i thought maybe the hissing noise was not related to the evap code. However that would make a lot of sense that the purge switch would be making the vacuum leak, based on thats were the hissing noise sounds like its coming from. The hissing only happens during 2500rpms+...i'll replace that and see what it does. A few months back i replaced that purge solenoid with one from a junk yard because it was making a loud clicking noise so i thought i would start there. With the new one installed it still makes the same noise. Could it be possible a bad purge valve would cause the solenoid to do that? Thanks again nnewquist!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:01 AM

to libertyforall,

your gm tech notes were completely useless based on how i do not own most of those tools needed to run those tests, and that originally i was just trying to get some simple questions answered about the vacuum diagram. Even if i did have those tools thats a pretty complicated checklist for a high school auto shop student.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

okay I got a quick question 97redcamaro I have the same problem and I took it to autozone and they said that I only get that 1 code just the p0441 The guy at the front desk said that the probable cause is most likly the gas cap I really want to get rid of that sevice light engine because I have a road trip ahead will the gas cap fix the problem ? is there some way that I can check if its the EVAP canister or something

Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 AM
REN
1st Gear Member

Did anyone solve this problem, I have the same code P0441.

Quick Reply: p0441 in 97 3.8L