93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

94 camaro 3.4L NIGHTMARE! PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Default 94 camaro 3.4L NIGHTMARE! PLEASE HELP!

I have a 94 camaro 3.4l v6. the head gaskets were blown, so heres what ive done: i replaced the warped heads with brand new heads with new valves, springs, retainers, rockers, push rods, new head bolts and gaskets. i adjusted the valves to alldatas specs and continued on with the rest of the job. finished everything and also replaced the ingnition control module, all three coils, new ac delco copper plugs and new oe plug wires. i flushed the motor and refilled with fresh oil and filter. then tried to fire it up and it just cranked and cranked and back fired quite a bit. im getting fuel and fire. any ideas? i am desperate. ive been working on this car for 2 weeks and im soooooooo fed up with this car! some one please help me. thanks

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

was the oil comtaminated with coolant, if so, how long did the car set with the bad oil in it. did you pull and clean the lifters? tell us how you set the lifters/valve rockers

Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sounds to me like the timing isnt right fuel and spark makes fire unless there not at the right point

Old 02-03-2011, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Also could be the injectors. Sometimes the little o-rings don't seat right and can cause fuel to leak.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When you followed the alldata procedure, are you sure you started with the #1 piston at TDC compression stroke? If you didn't, that's your problem.
I actually prefer to adjust the valves individually, on the heel of the cam lobe, instead of the "easier" less accurate two-step method. One way is to adjust the intake valve as the exhaust is just opening, and adjust the exhaust valve as the intake is almost closed. Set your zero lash while pulling the valve stem up and down, not by turning it. I know the book says to give it 1 1/2 turns past zero lash, but I would rather give one turn a try. Sometimes less is better, and as long as you end up with quiet lifters with one turn, you're better off.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I would think as well you should do a compression test just to make sure that's also correct and there are no cracks in the block. Defiantly would check timing as well.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 AM

Yes I set the valves at #1 piston tdc. My next step is to take a look at the chain and see if maybe she jumped timing. I'm not exactly sure how long the car sat with bad oil in it. I know it was at least a month. thanks for your help

Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the car sat and or was run with the coolant in the oil for any amount of time, the bottom end of the motor will fail early. the antifreeze being in the oil will ruin the bearings. i wish you would have came here earlier in the project, we would have recomended you find a used motor with low miles to put in the car. as you are now, and if you plan on keeping the car, i would recomend the main bearings and cam bearings be replaced. or find a used 3.4 with low miles and put your freash heads on it.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by killakurt
Yes I set the valves at #1 piston tdc. My next step is to take a look at the chain and see if maybe she jumped timing. I'm not exactly sure how long the car sat with bad oil in it. I know it was at least a month. thanks for your help
#1 TDC is one thing, #1 TDC on the compression stroke is another. Is that how you started, on the compression stroke? That's an important first step.
Is it safe to say that you were driving the car up until the time you weren't because of the blown head gasket? So then you're suggesting that somehow while you had the heads off, the timing chain jumped itself? That's a good trick! Think logically here...the engine ran, although badly, you took the upper end apart and put it back together, now it doesn't run. Re-trace your steps with everything you put your hands to, and stop hunting for ghosts that are totally unrelated to the job you just did.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Did you have the blocks deck checked for warpage? Im still fuzzy on why the timing is in question pulling the heads on an ohv engine doesnt require touching the cam/timing chain. did the engine get pulled/disassembled? do a compression test. I allways set rockers by installing all on studs tighten snug by hand, turn aditional 1.25 turns and fine tune with rngine running with plastic oil stops installed.

Quick Reply: 94 camaro 3.4L NIGHTMARE! PLEASE HELP!