93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Evap System Trouble Code Help PO442

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Default Evap System Trouble Code Help PO442

I have a 1998 Camaro with a 3.8 V6 engine. I purchased the car last october with 78,000 original miles. Judging by the low mileage and what I was told, the car was not driven very often by the previous owner so It sat the majority of the time. Shortly after I bought the car, the service engine soon light continues to come on when erased. I finally gave in and purchased a DTC scanner. Here is what the code reads: Trouble code PO442 -Evaporitive Emission System Leak Detected (small leak). My scanner also reads off code tips accordingly. Some of the suggestions it lists are: Intake leak, Faulty system hose connections, Faulty Evap canister purge valve, Faulty Evap canister. I have already replaced the EGR valve and the Evap Canister, both were unsuccesful. I can also smell gas at the driver's side rear of the car. I took it to the dealership (mistake) and they put together an $800.00 estimate for decarbonizing the fuel system but my faith in their credibility is shaky. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might try first or has anyone had this issue before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I looked through some threads but could not see anything related to my problem.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Overdrive Member

It is not PO442, but P0442 -- there is a difference...

Document ID# 209690
1998 Chevrolet/Geo Camaro
DTC P0442 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected

Circuit Description

The evaporative system includes the following components:

The fuel tank.
The EVAP canister vent valve.
The fuel tank pressure sensor.
The fuel pipes and hoses.
The fuel cap.
The EVAP vapor lines.
Ther EVAP purge lines.
The evaporative emission canister.
The EVAP purge valve.
The evaporative leak detection diagnostic strategy is based on applying vacuum to the EVAP system and monitoring vacuum decay. The PCM monitors vacuum level via the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor input. At an appropriate time, the EVAP purge valve and the EVAP canister vent valve are turned ON, allowing engine vacuum to draw a small vacuum on the entire evaporative emission system. After the desired vacuum level has been achieved, the EVAP purge valve is turned OFF, sealing the system. A leak is detected by monitoring for a decrease in vacuum level over a given time period, all other variables remaining constant. A small leak in the system will cause DTC P0442 to be set.

Conditions for Running the DTC

No VSS, TP sensor, HO2S, Misfire, IAT sensor, MAP sensor, Fuel Trim, Fuel Injector, EGR Pintle, ECT sensor, or MAF sensor DTCs are set.
The DTC P0440 diagnostic test has passed.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

A vacuum decay condition indicating a small leak is detected during the diagnostic test.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The PCM will illuminate the MIL during the first trip in which the diagnostic test has been run and failed.
The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame and Fail Records data.

Important

Although these diagnostics are considered type A, they act like type B diagnostics under certain conditions. Whenever the EVAP diagnostics report that the system has passed, or if the battery has been disconnected, the diagnostic must fail during two consecutive cold start trips before setting a DTC. The initial failure is not reported to the diagnostic executive or displayed on a scan tool. A passing system always reports to the diagnostic executive immediately.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The PCM will turn the MIL OFF during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has been run and passed.
The history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
The DTC can be cleared by using the scan tool Clear Info function or by disconnecting the PCM battery feed.
Diagnostic Aids

Check for the following conditions:

Cracked or punctured EVAP canister.
Damaged source vacuum line, EVAP purge line, EVAP vent hose or fuel tank vapor line.
Poor connection at PCM. Inspect harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and poor terminal to wire connection.
Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness to the EVAP canister vent valve EVAP purge valve and the fuel tank pressure sensor for an intermittent open or short circuit.
Reviewing the Fail Records vehicle mileage since the diagnostic test last failed may help determine how often the condition that caused the DTC to be set occurs. This may assist in diagnosing the condition.

Test Description

Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Table.

If a EVAP canister vent valve or EVAP purge valve electrical malfunction is present, the purge system will not operate correctly. Repairing the electrical malfunction will very likely correct the condition that set DTC P0442.

Checks the fuel tank pressure sensor at ambient pressure.

Verifies that the fuel tank pressure sensor accurately reflects EVAP system pressure changes.

DTC P0442 - EVAP Control System Small Leak Detected

Step

Action

Value(s)

Yes

No

Was the Powertrain On-Board Diagnostic System Check performed?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to the Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check

Important

Visually/physically inspect for the following conditions:

Vacuum or purge lines disconnected. Refer to Emission Hose Routing Diagram .
Loose or missing fuel cap.
--

Go to the other DTC first

Go to Step 3

Turn OFF the ignition switch.
Remove the fuel cap.
Turn ON the ignition switch.
Observe Fuel Tank Pressure on the scan tool.
Is Fuel Tank Pressure at the specified value?

0 in. H2O

Go to Step 4

Go to DTC P0452 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Voltage

Important:

Before continuing with diagnosis, zero the EVAP Pressure and Vacuum (inches of H2O) gauges on the J 41413 EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station.

Replace the fuel cap.
Capture Fail Record data for DTC P0442 and clear DTCs.
Connect the J 41413 EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station to the EVAP service port.
Using the scan tool, command the EVAP canister vent valve ON (Closed).
Pressurize the EVAP system to the specified value using the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station (monitor pressure using the EVAP pressure gauge on the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station).
Observe Fuel Tank Pressure on the scan tool.
Is Fuel Tank Pressure at the specified value?

5 in. H2O

Go to Step 5

Go to DTC P0452 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Voltage

Turn ON the ignition switch, engine not running.
Pressurize the EVAP system to the first specified value using the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station (monitor pressure using the EVAP pressure gauge on the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station).
Switch the rotary switch on the J 41413 EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station to HOLD and observe the EVAP pressure gauge.
Does the EVAP pressure decrease to less than the second specified value within 2 minutes?

15 in. H2O

10 in. H2O

Go to Step 6

Go to Diagnostic Aids

Disconnect the fuel tank vapor line and the EVAP purge line from the EVAP canister.
Block the fuel tank vapor line fitting on the canister.
Connect a hand vacuum pump to the EVAP purge line fitting on the canister.
Ensure that the EVAP canister vent valve is still commanded ON (Closed).
Attempt to apply vacuum to the canister.
Can the specified vacuum be maintained?

5 in. Hg

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 7

Visually/physically check for the following conditions:

Vent hose disconnected or damaged.
EVAP canister damaged. Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Replacement .
If a problem is found, repair as necessary.
Was a problem found?

--

Go to Step 11

Go to Step 8

Replace the EVAP canister vent valve. Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Replacement .

Is action complete?

--

Go to Step 11

--

Visually/physically check for the following conditions:

Malfunctioning (leaking) fuel cap
Leaking fuel tank vapor line.
Damaged EVAP purge line.
If a problem is found, repair as necessary.
Was a problem found?

--

Go to Step 11

Go to Step 10

With the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station connected to the EVAP service port, attempt to pressurize the EVAP system by leaving the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station control **** in the pressurize position.
Using the ultrasonic leak detector J 41416, locate and repair leak in EVAP system (It may be necessary to partially lower the fuel tank to examine the top tank connections).
Is action complete?

--

Go to Step 11

--

Turn ON the ignition switch.
Pressurize the EVAP system to the first specified value using the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station (monitor pressure using the EVAP pressure gauge on the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station).
Switch the rotary switch on the J 41413 EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station to HOLD.
Observe the EVAP pressure gauge on the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station.
Does the EVAP pressure decrease to less than the second specified value within 2 minutes?

15 in. H2O

10 in. H2O

Go to Step 3

System OK

Document ID# 209690
1998 Chevrolet/Geo Camaro

Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the quick accurate response! I'll give it a walkthrough and see what I can find.