93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

egr ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:03 PM

yeah im in nc possibly its the same way

Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Depending on which state the OP resides, clearing the codes may not help pass the emissions test. All self-tests will be marked as "not-run" after power is removed. In most states, the inspector will connect to the car's computer and see if all the emission self-tests have been run. If any have not run, the inspection fails and the driver is told to return later.
Because the car is not newer than 98, emissions only runs the tail pipe test. Would be the same in any state, however I am in PA. I've had it tested in the suburbs as well as Philadelphia. As long as the codes are gone l, it'll pass.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Overdrive Member

In IL, 1995 & older are emissions test exempt:
Air Team - Illinois Vehicle Emission Test Program

Looks like NC does no OBD testing on 1995 and older:
http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/reg...on/inspection/

Old 05-18-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 94CamaroV6
Have had this issue for about 2-3 years now. Had the EGR replaced when I got the car. Tell me if this is when you notice it.

Start car from cold/warm start. Drive up to 60MPH(or higher), and as you decelerate it codes. Yup? Well friend, you've come to the world of the 3.4L V6s. They carb up so bad. I've yet to get around to it, but I've been told to take off the EGR and fish a wire hanger into the tube (with/without on a drill) to try and break up the carbon build up. Blow it out with compressed air. Reinstall.

That's all it really is, carbon build up. If you're worried about it for emissions (as I have been), either disconnect the battery before you leave it at the shop, or pull the PCM Batt (and I pull PCM Ignition as well) fuses and let it sit for about 30 secs. Clears all the codes and will pass inspection/emissions.
Turns out you were exactly right after going back and pulling my throttle body off and cleaning both ends of the egr port inside the air intake no more codes as if now

Old 05-18-2014, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 94CamaroV6
Because the car is not newer than 98, emissions only runs the tail pipe test. Would be the same in any state, however I am in PA. I've had it tested in the suburbs as well as Philadelphia. As long as the codes are gone l, it'll pass.
For those who do not know this, the PCM keeps track of which emissions self tests have passed in a data set call readiness status. By law these are available from any OBD2 car using almost any OBD scanner/code reader.

The cutoff year for emissions testing is 1996 (and later) in California. The readiness check varies by county. For several counties in Washington state, it is 1990 and they DO connect and check for test readiness status. The Portland Oregon area requires most gasoline powered automobiles made after 1975 to be inspected, including a readiness check. In Colorado, the cutoff is generally 1975 for automobiles with a collectors plate, but there is no readiness check. For New York state, the cutoff is 1996 and according to this, there is an OBD2 system check: "For the inspection, the licensed inspection station uses NYVIP2 equipment to monitor the on-board diagnostic system (OBDII) of your vehicle." New York Vehicle Inspection Program (NYVIP2) | New York State DMV
These are the only five states I have checked.

I believe these all fall into the range of "any state".