93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Could bent rims be the cause of my steering wheel shaking? ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Could bent rims be the cause of my steering wheel shaking? ?

I'm trying to figure out why my steering wheel shakes when I go above 50, now it's really starting to annoy me. Can unbalanced tires do this or bent rims? Cause I did everything possible suspension wise on my Maro and my steering wheel is still shaking. I fixed a flat before putting my rims on few months ago and dude told me it was flat cuz the inside of my front passenger rim was bent so he just glued the tire or something on it to fix it but he recommended I get rotate my tires (I never rotated them once and had them for about 2 years, oops). I actually want to swap the rims and put my stock wheels to see if the same problem occurs. What you guys think? ?

Old 09-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A bent lip won't make it shake, but it would shake if the whole rim is bent to where it wobbles on the axle. Or if one is out of balance. You should be able to see a wobble if you hang your head out the window and look at the tire as you're driving. If swapping the wheels & tires from back to front makes the shake go away, you'll know it's one of the fronts causing it.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 AM
4th Gear Member

Anything that would cause a wheel or tire to be out of balance or round could cause front end shimmy. A tire full of mystery junk to fix a leak, a wheel that has lost a weight, warped wheel, uneven wear on tire. Sounds like you already checked everything else.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea everything feels on the front. But it feels more on the right side, how can I see it whubble unless someone comes with me or someone drives my car and I take a look. My girlfriend had a problem like this because she went over a curb and messed up her front rim, she got pulled over by a cop that day and told her that her wheel looks like it's going to fall right off, but hers would shake driving any speed cuz the rim was completely destroyed. Can this damage my ball joints, tie rods and control arms? ?

Old 09-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Droid

Shaking, shimming, etc.. will eventually destroy your suspension.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:59 AM
4th Gear Member

Take the tire and wheel off and run it by a tire shop and have them put it on a balancer to see if it is out of balance. It could be something as simple as a weight being knocked off the wheel.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I went to a rim straightening shop's website and it stated.............."There are a few main reasons to have a rim straightened. The first is that you may feel vibrations in your steering wheel when driving especially at faster speeds. The second reason for straightening is your rim may not be holding air. Finally, even small bends in your wheel will wear out your tire much faster." These are my exact symtoms of my car so i think im 100 % sure it's the rim but I hope it's only one rim.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

LOL 100% sure? It takes a lot to bend a rim to the point it will shake the wheel. Wheel shaking is a very common compliant and very rarley is it cause by a bent wheel. In most cases customers will even tell you I hit a curb hard or I let a friend borrow it then there is a good chance its a bent rim. There is a lot more chance you just have mud in the rim or you through a wheel weight. Bent rims can be felt at low speed and just get worse at higher speeds. Out of balance tend to be worse at a given speed like 50 mph but will get better over and under that speed.

You can take your car to Costco or Sams club or even Walmart ask for Rotate and balance (should cost around $20). If your rim is bent they should tell you, if they miss it the vibration will move from the steering wheel to the drivers seat. If it moves to the drivers seat then you have a bent wheel if it goes away you just needed a balance. If it stays in the wheel you need to get it to a mechanic ASAP.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-04-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea, I should take it to a shop to do that first before just getting a rim bended. But is it 100% sure that it has something to do with the wheels though? ? And will Costco, walmart, etc. really only charge about 20 bucks to rotate and balance all four of my wheels? ?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

And dude, both the driver seat and passenger seats vibrate like crazy, my lips even vibrate lmao.

Quick Reply: Could bent rims be the cause of my steering wheel shaking? ?