93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Default coolant leak

i have a coolant leak coming from the back of my engine, its pretty bad too does anyone know what might be the culprit? any help appreciated..
it appears that it might come out of a hole in the bell housing cover, but might just be dripping off it since its at the bottom of it.. at last look, (not raised or anything) it apeared to be gushing out from a couple places, would there be any hoses or anything on the back side of the engine or am i screwed and its a freeze plug? btw, its a 93 v6

Last edited by ayagle; 07-23-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: car type
Old 07-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Most likely a freeze plug but it could be the intake. Now that I think about it Freeze plug might be easier then the intake.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:37 PM

antifreeze goes through the intake on those?... btw, dont you have to pull the engine to get to the freeze plug?

Old 07-23-2010, 04:35 PM

i checked behind the intake, nothing wet there so im guessing a freeze plug or something else in the back of the engine, seems like towards the bottom, anything else there besides freeze plugs that could gush like that?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:42 PM

well, to make matters worse, i find that my fan isnt working, i put in some large leak, stop leak and it seemed to work for a little while, but now its dripping again, just overheats becuase of the fan now i guess, a drip i could live with, just fill it up every couple days.. but any ideas on how i can get the fan working again?.. i tried several relays that where in the engine bay but none kicked the fan on, fan fuse seems fine too..

anyone in the indianapolis area want a camaro for $1800?... lol

Old 07-23-2010, 09:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Check the fan motor by connecting it to a battery with a fused wire to see if it turns. Could have a bad fan motor. Also, could the rear plate gasket be leaking coolant? I think that plate seals off 2 openings on the rear of the engine up near the top.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear member

When you say in the back of the engine is it closer to the left side of the engine (drivers side)? Is it dripping behind the steering rack almost right under the power steering pump? If so, it could be your timing cover. You'll probably have to replace the water pump too (around $50). The timing cover might need to be resealed. I just had a problem because the previious owner of my car put stop leak in the system and it clogged the lines not leeting the car cool properly. I only had to replace the water pump, my timing cover was ok.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:51 AM

well... its leaking from inside the bell housing, its down to a drip now that ive put the stop leak in wich i assume the previous owners did, ive only had it a little over a month, as far as the fan, ive tried the ac trick and switching relays and the fuse is fine, i guess the motor is blown, dont know if it has anything to do with me trying to fill it while the cap was off and coolant spraying evrywhere or not, but i think i might just sell it and buy something cheaper... like i said, the leak seems to be comeing from behind the transmission... just sounds like too much of a pain in the ****

Old 07-24-2010, 03:54 AM

but i will look at it tomorrow at those specific spots and see if its anything like that, all i know is that it drips out of the bell houseing bottom cover..

Old 07-24-2010, 04:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

its a freeze plug pull the tranny back and take it out and put a new one in but BE CAREFUL dont put it in crooked or you will regret it its about a 2 hour job

Quick Reply: coolant leak