93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Automatic Headlight Temporary Disable

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:34 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Automatic Headlight Temporary Disable

By placing a switch in either side of the ambient light sensor (pictured), could I effictively disable the automatic headlight function? One way of the switch could break the circuit, allowing me to diable the auto headlights, and the other direction would complete the circuit, allowing for normal operation.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:51 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Automatic Headlight Temporary Disable

or you could just pull the e brake up 1 notch lol.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:44 AM
2nd Gear member

Doesn't work.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:03 PM
4th Gear Member

i do it all the time.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:04 PM
4th Gear Member

turn the car off, pull the e brake up 1 click, and turn the car back on.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Tech Droid

ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs

By placing a switch in either side of the ambient light sensor (pictured), could I effictively disable the automatic headlight function? One way of the switch could break the circuit, allowing me to diable the auto headlights, and the other direction would complete the circuit, allowing for normal operation.

This may help in your quest:

As Indicated:
From AllData:
The DRL control module will not operate the daytime running lamps, if the park brake is applied before the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position. This allows the driver to start the vehicle and keep the daytime running lamps OFF, as long as the park brake is applied. The DRL control module will activate the daytime running lamps when the park brake is released with the ignition switch in the RUN position. This feature functions only when the park brake is applied before the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position.

The ambient light sensor is a light sensitive transistor that varies its voltage signal to the daytime running lamps (DRL) control module in response to changes to the outside (ambient) light level. When the DRL module receives this signal it will either turn on the daytime running lamps (DRL) or the automatic headlamps depending on the ambient light level.

The automatic headlamps and park lamps are designed to automatically illuminate when the ignition is RUN and the outside (ambient) light level is low, as in nighttime conditions. Light levels are detected by the ambient light sensor, a light sensitive transistor that varies its voltage signal to the Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) control module in response to changes to the ambient light level. When the DRL control module receives a low light signal from the ambient light sensor, it will then turn on the headlamps and park lamps and turn off the daytime running lamps.

When the ambient light sensor detects low light levels, the DRL control module turns OFF the daytime running lamps and turns on the headlamps and park lamps under the following conditions:

[*]The ignition switch is in the RUN position.[*]The headlamp switch is OFF.[*]The park brake is OFF (released).[/ul]
If the engine stalls with the DRL control module in the low light mode, the DRL control module turns OFF the headlamps while the engine is being cranked. The park lamps will remain ON while the engine is being cranked.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Default headlight kill switch

I tired that with the sensor wires it dosent work but there is a way to do it. if you take off the light relay moduler thing ( its the black box behind the radio hooked onto the air duct, just slide it up and it pops off). there are to clips, take off the right clip i believe, ( to be sure cover up the sensor in the defogger duct and turn the key and see if the head lights pop on, if there off u got the right one.) there should be a red almost pink wire it will have power when the lights are on if you test it with a testor cut that one ( there are two with power it was the red one on my car it should be the same i think) and wire in a switch. and your done.