93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

car shuts off for no apparent reason

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 03:54 AM
Default RE: car shuts off for no apparent reason

Ok, I have driven it about 200 miles with no problems, tell your mechanic to ck the CPS sensor, I really believe this has fixed mine this time, good luck

Old 05-29-2006, 12:56 PM

I figured that was it Vicki.Good luck to you and your car

Old 05-30-2006, 06:40 PM

Vicki, I hope you are still up and running. I was hoping that I would have some good news to report today,cause I was supposed to pick up my car. I called to confirm that it was ready, and if the mechanic had broke down at all over the weekend. He did not have one breakdown and seems to think that the grease he cleaned my cps with has done the trick. He was fixing my windshield wiper motor, my wipers go about 3/4 of the way down, when he broke my windshield. Sooooo I guess it will be another couple days before I can say that I too am up and running.

Old 06-04-2006, 04:01 PM

Hey camaro crisis, the CPS sensor was my problem, I have driven it for over a week and put over 500 miles on it and it is FIXED, finally, so try that with yours, it fixed mine......good luck

Old 06-05-2006, 04:25 AM

Vicki, I am so glad to hear you are still doing great. I am also glad that you didn't listen to me and just get your cps cleaned. I broke down on the way home from my mechanics again. When I started it up it was doing that thing you described with the idling,my rpm's were going up and down, up and down,like it was breathing. I knew right then that it was not going to last long. Sure enough, I got about a mile down the road and broke down. When I got it started, I went right back to the mechanics and told him to order the cps. It is supposed to be in Monday. I want to have a happy ending like you have. I can't wait. Good luck to you.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:33 PM

Vicki, I had my new cps put on today and felt so confident that my car was finally fixed... Wrong.... I was doing fine until I turned my air on, and then just like always, it just died on me. I got it started after about six tries and called the mechanic. The only thing he can think of is to put my computer on the front passenger seat and tap it when I have a breakdown. I am not clear as to what this is supposed to accomplish. I can't tell you how dissappointed I am that the cps replacement didn't work. Does anyone else have any ideas for me?

Old 06-06-2006, 02:50 AM

Fuel pump possibly

Old 06-06-2006, 05:11 AM

Will get the fuel pump checked out tomorrow when the mechanic puts the computer on my front seat. Maybe I need more than one thing.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 AM

Camaro crisis, I am so sorry to hear that did not fix your problem, I had already had my fuel pump tested, don't know if you knew that, so I knew it was not my fuel pump, my mechanic said just like chaotic bastard stated, it could be the cam shaft sensor if not the crank shaft sensor, as neither of those will throw a code on the computer, it might also be your maf sensor, there is a way to ck those to see if they are bad if your mechanic has the right meter, have him tested b4 you buy anything else and good luck to you. Mine appears to have been the crankshaft sensor, as I have been driving it for 2 weeks and have put 800 miles on it and it is still doing fine, thinking about taking it out town next week....again I hope you solve your mystery, I know how frustrating it is believe me I do....

Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 PM

Vicki, Just knowing that someone else has had this same situation and has found the answer to their problem gives me hope that I will figure this out sooner or later. I really am happy for you. Thank you for your recent suggestions. I will have my cam shaft sensor and my maf sensor tested today and my fuel pump. Thought my appt. with the mechanic was yesterday, but its today. I told him its kinda sad when you have your mechanic on speed dial. He really is a good guy and thankfully hasn't given up on my car. I'll keep you informed on my progress.

Quick Reply: car shuts off for no apparent reason