93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Any guides on replacing fuel injectors for 3.8, 97 camaro?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Default Any guides on replacing fuel injectors for 3.8, 97 camaro?

Any guides on replacing fuel injectors for 3.8, 97 camaro?

It looks like it will likely be a bit cramped, but otherwise it doesn't look like it would be terrible.... but I've never replaced injectors before. Would love to view a guide. My manual, I think it's a Haynes, says nothing about how to replace them. Found a few guides online, but they are more generic, not camaro specific. Would like to be as well prepared going in as I can.

So does anyone know of a guide put together by someone who has changed injectors in a 3.8 v6 4th gen? (97 in this case)

Thanks for any help you can give me

Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Overdrive Member

Remove the rail hold down bolts. (if memory serves me there are 3 of them)
unplug all 6 injectors.
Pull rail off the injectors. (they may also come out of the manifold)
Pull injectors out of the manifold or rail depending on which unit they stuck to.
Make sure all new O-rings are used and all old O-rings are not stuck inside the rail or manifold.
Lightly lube the new O-rings with "bulb grease" (you only need a little grease here to keep them from tearing as you push them back in.
Push all new injectors back into manifold and align to wiring.
Push fuel rail back on and make sure it fully seats on the new injectors, adjust injectors to make this happen.
Bolt rail back down.
Plug injectors back in.

Also make sure everything stays clean in this adventure you dont want any dirt on the nozzles of the injectors nor do you want any to fall into the engine.

Massey

Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM
4th Gear Member

Good instructions. Important point is lubing the new O-rings and ensuring injectors are fully seated about manifold and fuel rail.
You will have to prime the fuel rail. You can either pull the fuel pump relay and jumper across the two large wires or turn ign key on/off several times as PCM will run f/pump for 2-3 seconds.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:42 AM

This is what I did but I was also doing the intake gaskets:

First remove the three spark plug wires on the passenger side of the ignition module and move those out of the way. Unbolt the ignition module and move it out of the way. Unclip injector connectors. There are 4 10mm bolts on the rail. It helps to unclip the three wire harness holders so you can move the harness out of the way first. The injectors will come out of the manifold when you pull the rail, because they are held by clips into the rail. It's difficult to remove the clips in the back without losing them if the rail is still around the plenum. You can carefully bring it forward but you have to remove the vacuum connector on the passenger side of the plenum and probably disconnect a couple vacuum lines. Be careful not to kink the fuel lines as you bring it forward. Now that I think of it you need to unbolt the throttle stuff too to do this.

Last edited by peter_x; 08-23-2013 at 07:49 AM.