93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

IS MY CAR OVERHEATING/HAVE BLOWN GASKET/CRACK IN HEAD I AM LOST HERE PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:52 AM
Default IS MY CAR OVERHEATING/HAVE BLOWN GASKET/CRACK IN HEAD I AM LOST HERE PLEASE HELP

HEY EVERYONE . I AM VERY LOST HERE JUST BOUGHT A 95 CAMARO I THINK RS 3.4 V6 5 SPEED. IT SEEMS TO BE RUNNING EXTREMELY HOT IN THE 200 S AND WILL GET CLOSELY TO 260 THEN THE FAN WILL COM ON BEFORE IT GET THAT HIGH AND COOL OFF AND DO THIS REPEATLEY, I DON T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON AS OF NOW. NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE RADIATOR, THERMOSTAT OPENS, AND WATER PUMP SEEMS FINE NO LEAKS ANYWHERE, DOESN T SMOKE AT ALL OUT THE TAIL PIPE AS IF IT WOULD IF HAD BLOWN GASKET AND NOTHING IN THE OIL SO WHAT CAN IT BE LOL. HOWEVER I DON T KNOW IF THE TEMP SWTICH WORKS RIGHT BECAUSE I DID MANAGE TO STRAIGHT WIRE THE FAN TO COME ON AND OFF WITH THE KEY AND I DROVE IT ALITTLE BIT AND DIDN T GET THAT HOT LIKE IT WAS BUT I DON T WANNA TAKE ANY CHANCES THAT IT COULD BE SOMETHING ELESE WRONG AND BLOW THE MOTOR SO WHAT SHOULD I DO ? ANY SUGGESTION OR INFO WOULD BE GREAT HELP AND A GREAT THANKS FROM ME .

Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: IS MY CAR OVERHEATING/HAVE BLOWN GASKET/CRACK IN HEAD I AM LOST HERE PLEASE HELP

Check your motor oil and make sure that it isn't milky in color. It really sounds like you have a blown head gasket. Also check to make sure that there isn't any leakage from the water pump. Running hot like that you really have few options. It's likely either a blown head gasket or the water pump is inoperative. Does it go up to 200+ and stay there or does it pulse up and down independant of fan operation. If it does then you have air in the block. If that's the case and it's not working itself out then your pump is dead. Also make sure your coolant as completely full in the radiator. Other than those things I don't know. Probably telling you what you already know.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: IS MY CAR OVERHEATING/HAVE BLOWN GASKET/CRACK IN HEAD I AM LOST HERE PLEASE HELP

I wouldn't jump to ANY conclusions about a blown head gasket just yet. Keep an eye on your coolant level in your reservoir. If it's not changing, don't sweat it. You say your fan is kicking on at 260 degrees? That's way too high. It should be going on in the 220 range. Your engine won't cool down on it's own without a fan, so if your fan doesn't feel like going on until 260, your engine is going to get to 260...simple! Looks like you have a faulty sensor. You can even buy an add-on temp sending unit and harness that plugs in between the cars wiring that will make the fan kick on quite a bit below the factory 220 degrees. Actually, I have a new Jet unit sitting around that I never put on my old 94 3.4 Camaro, and that car has long been sold.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

completely agree, if your antifreeze is there then you arnt loesing it. and if you were it would more likely be an intake manifold gasket. but i agree with 69 if your fan isnt coming on till 260 then your problem lies there. 3.4s have a 195 degree thermostat and the engine sould not go up much past that. on both of my 3.4s it stays at almost exactly 195.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Does the oil have a milky look to it, or is there any visable leaks...SFC

Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM
2nd Gear member

Does it only do that in traffic or while driving? Like does the temp go down when you get up to say highway speed and then heat up again when you are at a stop light? I just want to know whats going on when the temp is getting high.

Oh, and ya, turn off your CAPS LOCK!!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 PM

thanx so much for all your guys input. its good to know you can find help when you need it. well i messed with it all day long and i think it was the temp switch not letting the fan kick on, so i wired it into the fuse relay box to come on and off with the key and i also found out that my car was leaking from the thermostat housing so i replaceed that too and so far so good not doing it nomore and as of now its keeping the water in and not going anywhere so i think its fixed but we ll see tomarrow i am going to go out and see if the water stayed in the radiator but its staying at 195 now so i hope thats all it needed to be done. yeah i was getting very worried the got mess over to hell lol. but i am not going to complain to much because at 1000 cash for a 95 camaro is a steal and a half and i love it to death. lol sorry about the caps lock just used to using it all the time to post other things on the internet.