93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

'98 V6 Camaro Problems- Window/Radio/Ignition/Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Default '98 V6 Camaro Problems- Window/Radio/Ignition/Defroster

I have a '98 Camaro I've been having some problems with. I've searched around, but I've not really found any solutions specific enough to help me figure out how fix them, hence, this post. If previous threads do exist, links would be appreciated, and I apologize in advance.

Firstly, when starting the car, sometimes it doesn't start right away. Sometimes, I can just turn the key and it will start right up. Other times, i have to keep the key turned while the engine tries to start for 3-5 seconds. For some reason, this seems to happen more often when its hotter outside. When its cooler (in the mornings or late at night) the car starts fine. Its mostly during mid-day that I notice this happening. Is this a spark plug issue? Ignition issue?

The passenger window acts up sporadically. For a while, holding the button down would make the window go down as normal. However, when trying to roll the window up, the window would only rise about halfway. Then, after waiting a minute or two, you could press the button again, and it would roll up a bit more. So it would take a few cycles of pressing to roll it up, wait a few minutes, then press the button to roll it up, then wait, etc. to get it totally rolled up. I'm not sure if this is motor-related or not, but that's my first guess. Would a new window motor fix this? How involved is putting in a new motor? Prices to expect/stores to look at (PM if necessary)?

In addition to the window, the rear defroster works intermittently. When first switched on, the button lights up and the defroster works as it should. After a few minutes, it switches itself off and the light goes out. After waiting about 5 minutes, pressing the button again will turn it back on, but it will go back out after a few minutes of working.

Also, the radio has a lot of static. I don't know if this is some grounding problem, a wiring problem, or a speaker problem, so any trouble shooting tips would be great. Anytime the radio is on, the station comes in fine, but in quieter songs, or during any short silences, the static and pops are very audible. Also, when using an iPod in the car, using an iTrip or something to play it through the radio, it has static too. However, whenever I depress the clutch pedal (its a 5 speed), the static gets quieter.

The car also has a 6 disc CD changer in the back, but it doesn't work. The changer itself seems to be functionally OK, in that the song selection works, the clock counts the song time, etc. It just seems like the auxiliary button isn't doing anything when its pressed.

And lastly, just a cosmetic question: is there a "ring" of some sort that surrounds the shifter? It looks like there are holes for a piece to click into, but I don't have one on my car, so I'm not sure if I'm missing the piece. A picture of the shifter would be great so I could see what it should look like.

If anyone can give me any info on how to go about fixing any of this, it would be extremely appreciated. I know some of the stuff is more audio-related than Camaro-specific, but I figured some of the members here would have some experience with the Camaro's wiring. If there are any other forums that could help me out, like a car-audio forum or something, please, don't hesitate to post a link. This is my first car, so I don't have a lot of hands on time with cars, but I've done a lot of wiring of guitar amps, guitars, band PA's, etc. and am pretty good with my hands and electronics, so I think if I knew what to do, I'd be capable of actually doing it.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 PM
4th Gear Member

Check your fuel pressure for the starting problem.

Sounds like time to replace the window motor for the window not wanting to go up.

Clean your grounds as well as the negative cable on the battery and check to make sure your plug wires are good and not arcing causing the noise on the radio.

Not sure about the CD changer or the "ring".