93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

95 v6 Camaro Oil Pressure issues

Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Default 95 v6 Camaro Oil Pressure issues

Hi, I am new to the forum as well as owning a camaro, I have the 95 3.4l v6 and only has 92k original miles and am the 2nd owner of the car. The other Day I noticed the oil pressure all over the place. Someone told me that was normal on a car like that so I kept driving, then the car said 0 oil pressure so I turned off the car and checked oil and no oil left so i put enough oil back in still nothing. So I replaced the Oil sender and the oil level sensor and pressure was back up but would drop down to about 25pounds of pressure while driving so sure enough I look under the car and discover a tiny pin ***** hole after awhile of looking. So I took and filled the hole with JB weld stick and it seems to be holding just fine and for the first 5 min of driving the car after the repair oil pressure looked good everything looked fine. Then it dropped again and by the time I got it back it was down to 0 oil pressure again. The patch seems to be holding and I cant find another hole, I assume its just an oil pan gasket that needs replaced since it is still leaking and the entire oil pan seems to be covered in oil. It drained 85% of the oil back out of the car in two days flat. The car isnt smoking at all and no black smoke so I assume internally everything is ok. There is also an overheating problem and Im not sure if the two are related but I was sure I had the overheating problem fixed up until the oil started going crazy in which case the overheating started again as well. Any help would be appreciated I really need this fixed and looks like im going to have to replace oil pan and gasket Im just not sure if that will fix the issue or not, its a lot of money and I am out work and this is my daily driver now.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
4th Gear Member

Oil pressure is made by bearing clearance within the engine and the oil pump turning with the rpms of the motor. An oil leak will not affect oil pressure unless you leak it all out or if it is the sending unit that is leaking. Normally, with proper oil level, the oil pressure, on an engine with a few miles, will be higher when first started and gradually fall a little as the engine warms up. The way I am reading your post, sounds like your oil pressure (with proper oil level) is around 25 with engine first started. When the engine warms up, it drops below that. The hotter the engine, the thinner the oil becomes. What weight oil are you running in the car? What brand oil filter? You can put a higher weight oil in the car to bump up the oil pressure a little but usually either too much bearing clearance or weak oil pump causes the oil pressure to be low. Also, check the wires going to the sending unit where they connect to ensure they are clean and are making good connection.

As far as the leak, check the front and rear main seals, oil filter oring, valve cover gaskets, etc to see if you can locate the primary leak. A leak that major should be pretty easy to find. Usually oil flows toward the rear of the engine from where ever it is leaking. Check under the car after it sits for awhile to see if oil is puddling on the ground.