93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

95 Camaro 3.4 Performance chip Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Default 95 Camaro 3.4 Performance chip Questions

Alright just getting my 95 3.4 back out for the spring and summer. First off I know the car isn't fast and if I want serious fast I should just upgrade to a Z/28. I know that, the car will always be with me it has a special meaning, But I am trying to make it not so slow without wasting money. I was thinking plugs, wires, coils, air intake, and some sort of performance ship. I don't want one off E bay for five dollars that's going to hurt my car. I am looking for a website with a reliable performance chip that gives some more power and throttle response. I know exhaust upgrades always help but what can I do with the exhaust to gain some HP without making it sound like a fart can. I really hate V-6's that just sound terrible due to a big exhaust being thrown on. So anyone with opinions or ideas please post. Help me out guys, thanks anyone that posts.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

they don't make a chip for the 95, not sure if you can get a tune for a 95 3.4. have a look at pcmforless and t1pcmtuning see if one of them do

Old 04-05-2014, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

go on ebay and start searching. you'll have to ignore the cheap junk but on there Jet has a chip for your 3.4 if you look. you'll also be able to find headers, cat back exhaust, and a cold air intake.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

jet chip is a waist of money.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Is jet chip the one where it makes it think the air is colder then it really is. I was just wondering if there was a better CAI then just a cheap one or it doesn't matter. I also want an exhaust that doesn't sound terribly raspy, looking for specific brands if there are any thanks for any replies though.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

the cheapy CAI do work. and no the jet chip doesn't do that. those are the cheap 'performance modules' that you splice into your intake air temperature sensor. as for the exhaust you can either go with OBX's system or spend the big bucks for a magnaflow exhaust.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the air is coming from the engine compartment its not a cold air intake and will not gain hp. a k&n or moroso design is what you want where it gets the air from under the car. slp makes the best style but is most expensive.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
if the air is coming from the engine compartment its not a cold air intake and will not gain hp. a k&n or moroso design is what you want where it gets the air from under the car. slp makes the best style but is most expensive.
anything not as restrictive as the stock system will gain hp. it may be not as much as those pulling in cooler air but they will still make hp.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i don't know where you got that info for a 3.4 camaro, if you have dyno's lets see em.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The restrictive part of the air flow is the heads on the 3.4. No matter what you do on the intake or the exhaust sides that restriction is not going to change. You can spend all the money in the world but if you do not address the part of the motor that is stopping the air flow you are not going to change the dynamics of the motor.

The head restriction is intake and exhaust so even adding a turbo charger to force air in does not help as much as it would on almost any other car. Filling up a cylinder does not do much if it can not empty fast.

You do not have to take my word on this. Just look around and see what is available for "increasing" performance of the 3.4s form well known companies. If someone could figure out how to make a 3.4 faster they would make a fortune. At this point the motors have been out for 20 years and no one has done it yet. Headers and Cat backs will make the car sound better Cold air intakes can improve low end power slightly. Stock tune is slightly lean for emission so you can richen it up with a tune. These things will improve the low end drivabiliy with a little better throttle response but they would have little effect on over all HP of the motor.

With the 3.4 it is all or nothing, you have to start with a head swap from a 3400 or 3500 FWD motor. It is a ton of work and it is not cheap to do, I would bet I could buy a Z28 for less and in the end the bone stock z28 would be faster. Which would be the reason very few people actual do it.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-06-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 Camaro 3.4 Performance chip Questions