93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

95 camaro 3.4 fuel pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Default 95 camaro 3.4 fuel pressure problem

Alright so i got a 95 camaro with the 3.4 sfi motor ive been having cold start issues, when i try starting the car in the morning it takes a few tries if I prime the pump 3 or 4 times it fires right up but until the motor reaches optimal temp its a very rough and shaky idle once its optimal temp idles smoothes out and runs fine the car doesnt have any problems driving on a warm motor or even on a cold motor no real driving issues so i finally hooked up a pressure tester to it and it took 3 or 4 primes to even get it close to psi range when i start the motor at idle on a warm motor it sits right at about 35-37 psi when I unplug the regulator it jumps about 8 psi so im assuming the regulator is fine.

Alright so heres the main problem once I had the tester hooked up at idle it sat in that range but as soon as I cut the ignition it drops to zero in about 5 seconds.

I smelled fuel earlier and I traced the smell to the trunk it was cut out where the fuel pump sits so im assuming its been replaced the thing is theres a really strong fuel odor if I leave it open its extremely noticeable in the vehicle.

Im stumped on what it could be I thought maybe a fuel injector but im not miss firing or anything and I did change the fuel filter so thats not the problem. Could it have anything to do with the strong odor coming from where the trunk was cut, I heard the the fuel odor from there is common if it was cut open. Any help would be a godsend

Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear member

of course if the hole was cut there would be more noise/odors coming through the hole but if pressure drops when you shut the key off then it is bleeding back/losing pressure somehow.since the pump has been changed check there first.make sure they hooked everything up correctly first,evap hoses,fuel lines,connection to fuel filter and all.seems like the regulator should keep it pressurized unless there is a leak elsewhere before it.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 AM

Ok so they ghetto rigged some of the hoses by the pump i put some clamps on it so my problem improved a little better now when i prime the pump i get fuel pressure from one prime but pressure still drops all the way down to zero fast also no more fuel odor in my trunk so that problems fixed but im still losing pressure

Old 03-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by trippymg
Ok so they ghetto rigged some of the hoses by the pump i put some clamps on it so my problem improved a little better now when i prime the pump i get fuel pressure from one prime but pressure still drops all the way down to zero fast also no more fuel odor in my trunk so that problems fixed but im still losing pressure
the pressure regulator is on top of the fuel rail on your engine so either your regulator is messed up and the valve is letting gas in your engine and thats why its hard to start or the check valve in the fuel pump isnt working and so after its shut off it letting the gas in the fuel line back into the gas tank and therefore its not staying pressurized and that's why it takes a few cranks to get it started.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Overdrive Member

First, if there's a trunk hole cut for a fuel pump, make sure that hole gets SEALED properly! You don't want fumes coming into your car.

Apart from the obvious, trace all the fuel lines underneath the car and make sure there is no problem with any hoses, there is also a hose with a junction -- breather hose or something, makes sure the rubber junction connection is firm and not deteriorated... Mine was bad on my '95 3.4L.