93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

4.10 Gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 AM
Default 4.10 Gears

Anybody know anything about the 4.10 gears? My brother just did it on his '04 'stang GT, but knows nothing about automatic V6 Camaros. Is it even possible with an automatic, or worth it, considering it's only a V6? What would cost be including parts and labor as well?

Old 07-06-2015, 11:32 AM
4th Gear Member

It being an auto or stick won't stop it from being installed in the car. Are 4.10s practical? Not unless it was a 6 speed stick. With it only being a V6, I wouldn't go further, but you'd notice a difference if you stuck 3.42s in there. The steeper the gear you go the less fuel mileage you'll get.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
It being an auto or stick won't stop it from being installed in the car. Are 4.10s practical? Not unless it was a 6 speed stick. With it only being a V6, I wouldn't go further, but you'd notice a difference if you stuck 3.42s in there. The steeper the gear you go the less fuel mileage you'll get.
Much needed information. I believe the stock ratio is 3.08. Aside from wasting gas, (I bought a Camaro, I knew I'd suffer with Mpg) would installing the 3.42s make that big of a difference? I read that that's basically as far as you'd want to go on the 3.8L engines. How much would it cost in the end, and would that even be worth it?

Old 07-06-2015, 04:10 PM
4th Gear Member

I can't say for sure how much of a difference it'll make with a V6 and 3.08s. You'd have to ask someone who's done it with a sixxer. I would think you'd notice some extra get up and go. Cost is dependent on how you do it. With 3.08s you have a series 2 carrier.

To go to 3.42s, you'll need a series 3 carrier, 3.42 gears, new gear oil, rebuild kit and someone to put it all together.

Option 2, is to get the 3.42 gears, a spacer to reuse your series 2 and someone to install it.

Option 3, and most likely the least expensive and easiest, find a complete 3.42 rear end, put new gear oil, wheel bearings/seals in, and swap the whole rear. That's the way I went. Cost me roughly $300

Old 07-06-2015, 05:03 PM

I can't say for sure how much of a difference it'll make with a V6 and 3.08s. You'd have to ask someone who's done it with a sixxer. I would think you'd notice some extra get up and go. Cost is dependent on how you do it. With 3.08s you have a series 2 carrier.

To go to 3.42s, you'll need a series 3 carrier, 3.42 gears, new gear oil, rebuild kit and someone to put it all together.

Option 2, is to get the 3.42 gears, a spacer to reuse your series 2 and someone to install it.

Option 3, and most likely the least expensive and easiest, find a complete 3.42 rear end, put new gear oil, wheel bearings/seals in, and swap the whole rear. That's the way I went. Cost me roughly $300
I'll probably go with 3. Did you do it yourself or did you have it done? If you did it yourself how hard was it?

Old 07-06-2015, 11:12 PM
4th Gear Member

I did it myself. As long as you have the tools and garage and everything comes out easy, you can have it done in a few hours. It took me less than an hour to drop the rear that was in it and that was with a lunch break. Getting the new one in takes a little more time because you need to get everything lined up where the bolts will slide through. You can do it yourself (again if you have the right tools) but having a helper will make it easier and having a lift would make it even easier yet.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hardest part for me was getting the driveshaft and torque bar loose. just did the shocks so that was a breeze.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you want to try lowering the rear you can take out the isolators and put some thick hose over the spring end. hose mod, lowers around a inch. something to play with, easy to put back. note always have backup support for a car in the air. dont just depend on the jack stands or just the jack. right size piece of wood can save your life.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

In a 2002 V6, stock gearing is 3.23 in the rear for a manual, SLP RS models were 3.42 in the rear. Also be aware of the gearing in your transmission, which is especially a consideration in the automatics...

Check this out for more info:
what is the gear ratio on a stock v6 camaro? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Originally Posted by mytchellm
Much needed information. I believe the stock ratio is 3.08. Aside from wasting gas, (I bought a Camaro, I knew I'd suffer with Mpg) would installing the 3.42s make that big of a difference? I read that that's basically as far as you'd want to go on the 3.8L engines. How much would it cost in the end, and would that even be worth it?

Old 07-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

Option 3 is a big waste of parts, taking a rear-end off the market of available parts when something ACTUALLY breaks. Makes no sense to me. I swapped my open carrier for a limited slip unit for $100 labor and about the same for the carrier -- your mileage may vary. I already had the 3.42 gear from the factory in my RS.

Quick Reply: 4.10 Gears