93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3800 Series II/III Engine Replacement Info.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Overdrive Member

Thanks CMC, I figured I would share the information I learned when I was researching my replacment engine.

Massey

Old 07-30-2011, 12:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Really helpful thanks!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Overdrive Member

Here's a bottom-drop swap:
3800 Engine Replacement Bottom Drop

Old 12-31-2011, 12:51 PM

Has anyone finished swapping the series 3 engine to the Camaro series 2 and if so where there any issues? I am asking because I'm in the same boat. I am helping my grandson fix his 1999 v6 Camaro that i was hoping would be a cracked flexplate, but It must be a rod knocking. Since I have to do the labor and foot most of the bill I'm trying to weigh rebuilding whats there or go for a low mileage series 3. I have my eye on a 3.8 out of a 2008 Buick for prob. 500 shipped with supposedly 17k miles. Any comments or suggestions would help.

Thanks,

Larry

Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Just bought a black 98 w t-tops 3800 auto for a daily driver and great shape other than sounds like a lifter or rod knock. How hard is it to pull the engine in a garage without a lift as these are designed to come out the bottom. I'm not sure if it can be done at home. Just got laid off a week after i bought it so I have time but not much money!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

All you need is a engine hoist just like the one you would need to pull the motor out of the top and a dolley to slide the K-frame out. I really should have taken a picture when I was installing my Lt1. You would think you need a huge lift the lift the whole front of the car but my Harbor freight one ton lift had a much harder time picking up the engine and trans together then it did lifting the front end. You want to make sure you use stands on the rear axle and there is room around the stand to let the car pivot. I put this in here because I realize it is the next question after where can I find a motor. If you have any other questions you should start a new thread.

This my car (note the cheapy HF cherry picker)
Name:  Backin.jpg
Views: 15815
Size:  106.7 KB

This is a random photo showing the same process,Note tow strap is not a bad idea to wrap around the frame rails at the rad support.
Name:  Liftcar.jpg
Views: 14114
Size:  52.5 KB

Last edited by Gorn; 04-27-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Lots of great info here....Thanks

Old 07-22-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Massey
Due to the large number of requests lately about what 3.8L engine will work for my car questions I decided to write up a little article about what engines can be used and what you need to do to use a FWD engine in your Camaro or Firebird.
First off not all the 3.8L engines are the same. There is a lot of history in the 3.8L engine and I am not going to get into all of it here. We are going to keep with the Series II and Series III engines. If you are interested in some further reading check this article out.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/article/4142/rebuilding_the_38l_buick_engine.aspx

Not all Series II engines are the same. In 1995 when the Series II engine was introduced it used a different block than the 3800 engine and was updated in 1996. Unless you have a 1995 car I would steer away from using this as a replacement engine.
All Series II and Series III engines used the same block, and Heads from 1996-2008. The Supercharged engines were the same from 1996-2007 and used different pistons, rods and cam than the naturally aspirated engine. The L67 or Vin 1 engine should not be used for a Camaro or Firebird engine, using the Camaro/Firebird naturally aspirated intake. We are going to talk from here on about the L36 or Vin K engines.

Differences in the engines of the early 3800 (95-98) and the later ones (99-02) are limited to the intake and throttle body only. (the 95 engine also has a different block but it will interchange with the other years). In 95-98 the upper intake inlet was pointed downward to clear the hood and used a throttle by cable throttle body. Late production 98’s have been found with the 99-02 Throttle by wire (TBW). In 99 the upper intake changed to improve flow and to accommodate the TBW system. The upper intake no longer points downward and the air cleaner is located above the radiator, this system was unchanged through the 2002 model year.
FWD engines share some parts with the Camaro/Firebird. Again you will want to find an engine from 1996-2008 naturally aspirated, L36 or Vin K engine. (L26 or Vin 2 for Series III engines). These engines are in abundance in most wrecking yards and can be bought for around $400-$700 with low miles. You will need to remove most of the outer accessories and tin to get the engine ready for your Camaro/Firebird.

If you buy a FWD engine here is what you will need to remove from the new engine (and swap from your car’s original engine)
Oil Pan
Oil pickup tube/screen
Oil filter mount (on the timing cover)
Upper intake
Lower intake
Fuel rail
Fuel injectors
Belt tensioner/Heater hose manifold (replace the plastic elbows and make sure the ends of the old elbow did not stick inside the manifolds.)
Flywheel
Harmonic balancer
Valve covers (some engines have the oil filler in the middle of the cover and will not work too well with the Camaro/Firebird)
Exhaust Manifolds
Oil dipstick
All accessory brackets from the Camaro/Firebird engine over to the new engine. (You may want to leave the engine hook on the rear right side off so you can remove the valve cover easier in the future)

The Water pump, Timing chain cover, Crank Sensor (CKS), Cam Sensor (CMS), and Knock Sensors are the same on all 96-08 3800 engines. You can also use the coils and ICM from the FWD engine on your Camaro engine. If you don’t need them right now keep them aside they are not cheap to replace and it is good to have parts like that in reserve.
With the Flywheel and harmonic balancer, they are designed to work together and should be kept together. The FWD balancer may look the same but it is built to balance the flywheel of the FWD engine. If you can look at the imprints the crank leaves on the flywheel, match them up on the new engine for best results. Be careful with the Harmonic Balancer, there are tin metal plates inside that are the reluctor wheels for the CKS, These must be in good condition for your ignition system to function properly.

I hope this write up helps anyone looking for a new engine for their 3.8L Camaro/Firebird. Any questions please feel free to ask I will be happy to answer them.

Massey
Would this vice versa to put a camaro engine in a grand prix

Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, when GM use to sell a long block it would fit FWD and RWD cars. Of course you will need all the FWD parts. As a general rule a working Camaro 3800 sells for more money the its FWD counter part because so few people understand that a 3800 is a 3800 regardless of how it started life.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:07 PM

Massey...thanks for the info...i need a camaro 1996 engine badly...in southern ohio if near...thanks don...another vet...USAF...

Quick Reply: 3800 Series II/III Engine Replacement Info.