93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3800 Series II/III Engine Replacement Info.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
After doing a little more digging on this engine I found out that the Series III engines do have a slightly different head. The intake valves are .030 larger, 1.83" instead of the Series II engine's 1.80". Aside from that the long block assembly is the same between the Series II and Series III engine.

Massey
Ok I have found a really good deal on a Series III. I can get one from a 2006 Grand Prix with 65,000s mile for about $500. Do I understand correct in that the the valves being slightly larger will not effect anything. I can use just the long block and everything else will just bolt right up.

Has anyone here actually used a series III and knows from personal experience it works?

Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Overdrive Member

Everything will bolt up just fine to the Series III engine. I have done alot of research on this swap and have confirmed that the intake and exhaust manifolds will bolt up just fine. .030 is not alot in terms of size, it is about the thickness of a dime.

Massey

Old 12-19-2010, 11:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Another thing I've noticed a lot of asking about is the difference between supercharged and N/A versions... and the top swap.
Useful info though, I'll be using it...

Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Overdrive Member

I left the SC engines out of this thread because of the confusion about the compatability of that engine to the L36 engine. The link I provided to engine builders will tell you the differences in the engines. Do not put the SC on the NA engine and visa versa.

Massey

Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

also, arent the exhaust manifolds different between 1998 and 1999? the plug wires are different to accomodate this change. they went from a log style to a tubular style if memory serves correct

Old 12-26-2010, 08:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey

With the Flywheel and harmonic balancer, they are designed to work together and should be kept together. The FWD balancer may look the same but it is built to balance the flywheel of the FWD engine. If you can look at the imprints the crank leaves on the flywheel, match them up on the new engine for best results.
I hope I am not bugging you asking questions but I am currently in the middle an engine swap.

I have to ask about the harmonic balancer. I am not really understanding what you are saying. When I go to Autozone and look up a Harmonic balancer I get the same part number for a 1999 FWD Park Avenue as I do for the Camaro. I ask because when I was removing my engine it slipped and fell about 6 inches and caught the harmonic balancer on the edge of a floor jack and busted the lip of the balancer.

I am trying to decide which way to go on this project. Around here the FWD engines are typically running about $300 less than the Camaro-Firebird engines but I will have to buy a bunch of gaskets to swap everything and may have to buy the Harmonic balancer so I may not save any money to speak of.
Joe

Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Overdrive Member

@ Micro: There is no difference I know of about the 98-99 manifolds. The wires are different I believe because of the intake change.

@ Joe. My research has shown 2 harmonic balancers for the Series II/III engine. One is Camaro/Firebird only and the other is All applications. The Camaro/Firebird only balancer is smaller and has no "cover" over the middle. The other one has a cover over the face with 3 little holes for the puller.

Massey

Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 AM

i am about do an engine swap and am wondering if it is better to drop the cradle to do the swap or do it from the top as normal engine swaps

Old 01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Overdrive Member

Hands down go from the bottom.

Massey

Old 01-15-2011, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice write up Massey.

Quick Reply: 3800 Series II/III Engine Replacement Info.