93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

fuel injecter replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default fuel injecter replace

iam thinkin thts why i have a gas smell in myoil..(strong smell)plus my car runs like it's missing and feels really slugish...also i have 80,000 miles and i dought they have ever been replaced so iam do it soanyone who has replaced fuel injecters on a 2000 3.8 know of anything tht might help meor make iteasier...from what i seen there's 4 bolts and then u gotta remver the rail and then the injecters...

where can i finda fuel pressure gauge with the drain valve thts fits the camaro?????

Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: fuel injecter replace

Did you ever fix the codes and/or cat? Unless you've narrowed it down, I wouldn't go and change injectors just yet. You get a fuel pressure gauge from the auto parts store.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Ninja Administrator

run some cleaner, replacing fuel injectors isnt really a regular maintenance thing. if you are having problems i doubt it is just old injectors, if your injector is messed up you will have bigger problems than sluggishness

Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

well one problem tht i just fix'd was a broken exhaust manafodl stud and exhaust leak...

i got a new cat in like thursday but have'nt got it install'd yet..tryin to find somewhere cheap...

i went and got the codes cleared and they were (2)p442 and a p300...thep442 has been thereawhile and i think thep300 came when i was messing with tthe exhaust manafold i hadto pull some plugs andmust not have put it all the way back tight...but neither codes have come back yet...

i fix'd my low ticking at start up and the poping under hard throttle(itwas the manafold)..
but now it just seems likeit has a lil miss...like under slow accerlationi can kindof feelit bucklightly..my girlfriend could'nt feelitbut i sure could...

also on the passenger side fuel injecter location i havelots of build up and some liquid and iam thinkin it's the injecter or injecters...

also under full throttle in 2nd gear at 5,000rpm my ses light still blinks and goes away, iamthinkin it's from the malfuncting fuelinjecters but not sure..???????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Ninja Administrator

check ur plugs before u spend the money to replace injectors.

the blinking is a random misfire, i had that in my TA once (forgot to plug the #6 cyl spark plug back in......[&o]drove like that for 20 miles, but on the plus side once i caught it the header install really seemed worth it [8D]).

make sure all of ur plugs are nice and clean and that all of them are plugged up to the coil pack.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 AM
1st Gear Member

iam pretty sure all the plugs and coils are good...
i've replaced the coils and moduel like 5 months ago..(i've heard of peoplereplacing these quit aften)..and the wires with msd8mm wires so unless they have gone bad in tht amount of time then they should be good..

one thing i have'nt replaced is the spark plugs but i would'nt think tht i need to as they dnt really go bad...

so replacing the injecters is the last thing i can think of expecially because of the gunky build up and liquid i have building up in the vally where the injecters are...iam only payin $116 for 6 new oem injecters and the fuel rail and fuel pressure regulater so thts better then $60 bucks an injecter..so thts another reason i wanna replace them and i have 80,000 miles

iam kindof hopeing i'll throw a ses light and get a code to do from but have'nt thrown any codes yet so idk...

Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: mstephens20

iam pretty sure all the plugs and coils are good...
i've replaced the coils and moduel like 5 months ago..(i've heard of peoplereplacing these quit aften)..and the wires with msd8mm wires so unless they have gone bad in tht amount of time then they should be good..

one thing i have'nt replaced is the spark plugs but i would'nt think tht i need to as they dnt really go bad...

so replacing the injecters is the last thing i can think of expecially because of the gunky build up and liquid i have building up in the vally where the injecters are...iam only payin $116 for 6 new oem injecters and the fuel rail and fuel pressure regulater so thts better then $60 bucks an injecter..so thts another reason i wanna replace them and i have 80,000 miles

iam kindof hopeing i'll throw a ses light and get a code to do from but have'nt thrown any codes yet so idk...

On the contrary my good fellow
plugs are one of the most common parts to regularly go bad, especially if you have been seeing a random misfire. running like that for a little bit can foul a plug up pretty bad. the injector is only likely to go bad if you have crappy fuel or junk in the lines. pull all ur plugs out and look at them, i would almost bet money that u have a few that are covered in crap resulting in bad spark and possible misfire.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Overdrive Member

Can you tell if the liquid is gasoline? If anything, I would replace the O-rings, and run some cleaner through the fuel. If you have money to burn, and don't mind replacing the injectorsthemselves, thengo for it. It would take the same amount of time as replacing the O-rings, but more money...

Old 03-10-2008, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the input guys...i'll check all the plugs..(also does it matter if iam running one spark plug diffrent from all the others...i did replace one but only one and it's diffrent then the rest)...and iam see if i can stick a cloth in the vally and get some of tht built up and see if it's gas...but what else could it be other then gas or oil..and were would it be comin from couldthe valve cover be leaking causing the liquid build up...

Old 03-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Ninja Administrator

O rings, check ur plugs, and fuel cleaner and you should be set from the sounds of it.

Quick Reply: fuel injecter replace