93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

1998 Doesnt Fire but turns over

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 AM
Default 1998 Doesnt Fire but turns over

I drove the car to school with no problems. I came out a few hours later to leave but the car would not start, I let it turn over 6 times turned the key off then tried again and it fired right up. The car sat over night and now it will not start. I checked and the car does have fuel pressure at the injectors and I replaced the crankshaft sensor but still no luck. The car has a new battery only a few day old. Any ideas???

Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you sure you have the right amount of fuel pressure or are you just getting gas to the injectors? Cause it sure sounds like the pump went. If you have good pressure your next step is figuring out what you are missing. It is either fuel or spark. They make spark testers and injector noid light so that would be your next checks.

Security light on?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

any lights, like ses or security lights? have you had it scanned for codes?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 AM
Thumbs up Figured it out

Ok so unlike several people who post the problem and then never follow up to tell what the problem was, i will. I tested for spark by unplugging a spark plug and holding it to the bolt for the shocks with spark plug hooked up to the wire and the coil while having a friend turn the car over, no spark. Went to autozone and got a computer code reader and hooked it up to the car but the car passed. So I took off the coil blocks and mounts with the ignition module on it and took it to autozone they tested the coils and the ignition module. The coils were good the IGNITION MODULE was bad, replaced it with a new one put the car back together and success!! So if you are on here and have the same problem I did take your ignition module off and take it to autozone before you go changing parts such as the crank sensor.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a heads up for anyone reading this in the future. Making a spark plug wire jump an arch is not a good way to test to see if you have strong spark, In this case it worked because there was no spark but if you have weak spark 500-600 volts will cause a nice spark but depending on the age of the plug wires it could take up 20,000 volts to fire a plug in a area of compressed gas. Spark testers that hook inline can be bought for around $2 if you shop around and $10 at most parts stores.

I am a little suprised the modual failed, but then gave you one more start. Normally when they go there is no second chance.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

when my ignition modual went it would work for ten minutes and then not for 20 or so minutes and then work again for a time.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

try the Idle air control valve thats what it was on mine having the same problem

Old 10-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Lilspleen
try the Idle air control valve thats what it was on mine having the same problem
To do what? He fixed the problem, it was the ignition module.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 AM

It sounds like the same problem am having with my 1998 V6, did it seem like it was starving for air? Mine will crank and only start if i press the gas all the way down. Then it will work fine, its a weird problem I cant figure out. Please any info would help me.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you should start a separate thread, if memory serves pressing on the gas like that will shut the injectors down. you may be running rich. check your plugs.

Quick Reply: 1998 Doesnt Fire but turns over