Squeaky Noise coming from belt? (Video)

Old 03-12-2017, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Squeaky Noise coming from belt? (Video)

Hi all, Im trying to figure out what is making that squeaky noise from my camaro. My guess is that it's coming from the serpentine belt.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post

Here is a youtube URL of my camaro's "squeaky noise"

Old 03-12-2017, 02:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would look at the tensioner and idler first. bad bearing in either can make a sound like the belt slipping. maybe squirt some lube to one and see if it stops or changes for a short time. then the other. also dont squirt it while running. easier to keep from getting on the belt.

Old 03-12-2017, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
i would look at the tensioner and idler first. bad bearing in either can make a sound like the belt slipping. maybe squirt some lube to one and see if it stops or changes for a short time. then the other. also dont squirt it while running. easier to keep from getting on the belt.
Sorry I'm new to this lol

So while the engine is off, do i squirt wd 40 on belt or tensioner?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you want to get it in where the bearing/bushing is. could just take the belt off and spin them and see if its not turning easy, maybe grinding

Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

you want to get it in where the bearing/bushing is. could just take the belt off and spin them and see if its not turning easy, maybe grinding
Alright, tomorrow morning ill squirt water on the idler and tensioner to see if it is either of them. I dont wanna risk untightening the bearings/bushing because I have no experience on how to work this and I am afraid that I might damage something along the way

Old 03-18-2017, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok so I did the squirt water on one of the rimside of the pulleys put it did not change. So it is probably the pulley/bearing?

Old 03-18-2017, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I started my car and the squeaking sounded a bit low but then it increased and increased. My engine started to lightly throw out smoke:

Then after I took it out for a ride to warm up the squeaking got louder:

Old 03-18-2017, 11:29 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

need to pull the belt and see if tensioner or idler pully is hard to turn or is grinding when you turn it. sure sounds like one or the other is burning up a bearing.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

need to pull the belt and see if tensioner or idler pully is hard to turn or is grinding when you turn it. sure sounds like one or the other is burning up a bearing.
How would I be able to do that? Do I tug on the belt? or do I need to remove the belt and turn the idler/tensioner
Sorry I'm such a newbie

Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

go here and download the factory service manual for your year, or closest year to yours. https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti to remove the belt you need to put a wrench or socket on the tensioner and turn it so it relieves the pressure to the belt, the belt will then come off, be sure to make sure your picture/sticker showing the way the belt goes on is still there under the hood. not so easy to remember how it goes once its off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaky Noise coming from belt? (Video)