No pedal Resistance

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 03:31 PM
Default No pedal Resistance

I have a 1997 camaro with the LT1 and T56 Transmission and recently the clutch pedal started getting weaker. The other day it started getting harder to shift and while i was pulling into my drive way I heard a loud pop and the car died as I coasted to my driveway. It now has absolutely no resistance and when it starts makes a grinding sound. Was hoping it was salve cylinder but replaced it and the pedal is a little bit firmer but made not a big difference. It still grinds if trying to start it.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:20 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If the starter is ok and car should start fine in neutral regardless of a clutch issue. If the clutch is not disengaging and you are in gear your are trying to move the car with the starter. That will end up breaking something. Could be the starter housing the over running gear or the ring gear on the fly wheel.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:21 AM
4th Gear Member

The loud 'pop' you heard is the diaphragm of the pressure plate breaking.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:39 PM

Sorry for the late response but, just got the time to look into it some more. Car will start but I hear a sound like something being tossed around in the bell housing. The car does not try to move itself or anything like that. While replacing the slave and remember being able to move the fork by hand a little bit. Should there be any play in the fork at all? Or should it be held with no play because of the spring on it or whatever holds this one forward? Gonna pull the trans friday or saturday and see what it looks like.

Was hoping I could get a basic parts list for what I need to replace for the "while I am in there" factor.

I know I should need these or at least it would be a good idea not knowing the last time it was done.

Trans Fluid
Rear main Seal
Throw Out Bearing

Any other addition let me know along with what you think about the scenario of the car and what may be wrong.

Thanks.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:35 AM
4th Gear Member

Should be little play in fork, maybe 1/4 inch at the most.
Yes, it will be loose.
Can or two, of BraKleen® for cleaning flywheel, bellhousing, and block if replacing seal - use silicone grease for lube of seal lip and be gentile with seal - don't need to break the lip when installing.

Good luck with your journey

Old 10-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by veryevilkitten2
Was hoping I could get a basic parts list for what I need to replace for the "while I am in there" factor.
As far as the clutch components, you're going to want to replace everything; clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing and pilot bearing. Rear main seal is your call, if it's not leaking and you're not removing the flywheel, I'd leave well enough alone. The condition of the flywheel won't be known until you get inside there. If it's not all hacked up, you can dress down (rough up) the surface with sandpaper/emery cloth. Do not leave the flywheel "as is", the new disc won't break in properly and you'll likely have a crappy grabbing clutch and/or a chatter.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:58 PM

So, pulled the transmission and found that the TO bearing was busted where the fork connected to it.

Guess its time for a new clutch since it is not much more to do that than it is to order just the bearing. Probably gonna do rear main seal also if it looks bad. What are thoughts on a new fork or would that just be dumb.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2016, 10:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Might as well

Old 10-25-2016, 06:27 PM

Couldnt find a fork for the transmission as the ones it shows are for either the 6 cylinder cars or dont cross reference correctly.

I will be replacing the clutch and bearings friday/saturday.

Are there any tricks on getting the pilot bearing out?

Old 10-25-2016, 06:44 PM
4th Gear Member

One way is pack the hole with grease, then use an input shaft and hammer out the old bearing,
Or, use a broken hack saw blade and cut the bearing its length and flange and make it a smaller diameter to pop out.
Or use a three-jaw sliding hammer puller and pull out.

Quick Reply: No pedal Resistance