poly bushings - NVH issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Default poly bushings - NVH issues?

The bushings are pretty well worn out on the '94, and it's time to replace at least some of them. Thinking of picking up a master kit, and doing it end-to-end. Have access to an HF 20 ton press, so I'm not anticipating any problems on that end.

I was planning on doing an OE replacement set, but Energy Suspension seems to be the best value, and only source for a full package. Honestly, I'm being a cheap bastard on this front, and don't want to spend 2x on rubber bushings.

I'm no stranger to using harder durometer bushings, mounts, etc., and while I often appreciate the benefits, the increased NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) is an expected part of the equation. Typically, I'd go with poly bushings in specific places, for street cars, and OE elsewhere. Question is, are the poly bushings available for the Camaro less of a compromise, or are they as stiff as I'd expect?

Also,, looks like Energy Suspension pretty much dominates the scene for the F-Body, and offers a black and red version. I'm assuming the red version is a harder durometer race version, while black is a street version... I'd be going with the black version, so most interested in feedback on this one.

Anyone have experience and feedback on a full set, or found there's specific bushings that tend to need replacement? The trans mount was pretty worn, replaced it today... the bushings on the front LCA's are pretty worn too. Figured I'd at least replace those, and box them at the same time.

Also, any other suggested places to look for bang-for-the-buck replacement parts, to improve overall ride quality and handling? Shocks were replaced/upgraded to KYB's by previous owner. Figure I'll replace the tires, maybe go to a more aggressive pad on the front brakes, but still keeping "streetable daily driver" in mind - a 'spouse-approved car'.

(Also posted on FBO, hoping there's opinions from different people here as well)