Improving Handling

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Improving Handling

Hello all,

My newly acquired 02 V6 Camaro is my first car I am trying to make "handle" and my first late model GM car. I am new to the forum and have been perusing threads for ideas of improvements. esp in the handling and braking (I have a V6, can't find a reason to try to improve power when I chose a V6 for fuel mileage!).

There are lots of threads about parts with recommendations and a few opinions about what to do first, or what to do if you have done "X" to it already.

I was hoping to get some opinions on suspension upgrade sequence along with some clear info on what mods are dependent on others. This would apply to a daily driven car that will one day go to a club track day or something similar.

Could the sequence of upgrades be made according to say decreasing effectiveness, ease of installation, independance of other modifications or even how much they will impact road use (bumps, potholes, noise, rattles/vibrations).

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, and even links to other sources or guides.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

In my experience most things that improve handling make you feel the bumps and potholes more and make any existing rattles or vibrations worse. As far as the sequence of upgrades I can't think of any mods that are dependent on others. But endlinks for example would be good to upgrade same time as the swaybar and bushings since one end has to be unbolted on each one anyway. I don't know how much it will help but here's the list of mods I'll be doing on my 01 v6 as I have the cash:
Strut tower brace
SS front and rear swaybars
Polyurethane suspension bushings
SLP bilstein shocks
SS steering rack
Anything worn and needing replacing

I know what you mean about buying the v6 for mpg, that's why I bought mine, I drive 80 miles round trip 5 days a week to work. I do recommend doing the free ram air mod and slapping in a k&n filter though.

Last edited by J-Factor; 06-22-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by J-Factor
In my experience most things that improve handling make you feel the bumps and potholes more and make any existing rattles or vibrations worse. As far as the sequence of upgrades I can't think of any mods that are dependent on others. But endlinks for example would be good to upgrade same time as the swaybar and bushings since one end has to be unbolted on each one anyway. I don't know how much it will help but here's the list of mods I'll be doing on my 01 v6 as I have the cash:
Strut tower brace
SLP bilstein shocks
SS steering rack

I know what you mean about buying the v6 for mpg, that's why I bought mine, I drive 80 miles round trip 5 days a week to work. I do recommend doing the free ram air mod and slapping in a k&n filter though.

Thanks for your reply! My recent mods are very similar, but I did KYB shocks, added subframe connectors, and the SS sways are waiting to get put in with polyure bushings.

Yes, there is always a "trade off" between comfort, handling and cost, and am familiar with them for engines and horsepower, but am a total noob with the suspension and handling for street cars. Seen lots of race cars tho!

I just put in the poly trans mount, and the noise shocked the poo out of me, so was looking for some grading of the tradeoffs from people who have done a lot of this.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by J-Factor
Strut tower brace
SLP bilstein shocks
SS steering rack

Some additional mods that I would add to J-Factor's list that might be worth a thought if you are looking to improve handling/braking:

- Lowering springs (not too much though as you don't want to bottom out in normal driving). This will help lower the car's center of gravity.
- New Panhard bar (if you do lower your car, get an adjustable one) Will help recenter the car on the axle.
- New Lower Control Arms (w/ relocation brackets, if lowered) Will reduce will hop.
- Slotted Disc if you are looking to drive the car hard. Help the brakes cool along with shed road debris and water during braking periods.
- Switching to a Wilwood or Dual Caliper-type braking system. Often lighter than OEM calipers and more braking power.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gagger84
Some additional mods that I would add to J-Factor's list that might be worth a thought if you are looking to improve handling/braking:

- Lowering springs (not too much though as you don't want to bottom out in normal driving). This will help lower the car's center of gravity.
- New Panhard bar (if you do lower your car, get an adjustable one) Will help recenter the car on the axle.
- New Lower Control Arms (w/ relocation brackets, if lowered) Will reduce will hop.
- Slotted Disc if you are looking to drive the car hard. Help the brakes cool along with shed road debris and water during braking periods.
- Switching to a Wilwood or Dual Caliper-type braking system. Often lighter than OEM calipers and more braking power.
I think a wilwood or dual caliper setup and slotted rotors really aren't worth the money in this case. I know guys with 400+ hp cars running flat rotors and ceramic pads with bigger calipers that stop on a dime and give you change back. Are the brakes any bigger on the z28/ss? That might be a better option.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

shock quality dictate the ride on 4th gens. koni are best with bilstein being a good low cost shock that will work ok. sway bars would be next i would go with. then sub frame connectors. shock tower brace is a low cost item that has a noticeable effect and is easy to install. have a look at strano's site and if your going to buy from him give a call. he is one of the best suspension guys in the country for 4th gens. got my shocks and sway bars from him and am very happy with em. Strano Performance Parts - Parts Search

Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Tech Droid

All the stuff mentioned is good, but without a set of tires that can really grip the road in every directions they won't accomplish much.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for your replies! I think for me all that is left are springs (which were only overlooked because it occurred to me in the middle of pulling apart the front for the shocks and couldn't find any stores carrying them. Wish I had read here before I bought shocks!) and the panhard if I drop it.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Follow up;
Installed; sub frame connects, shock tower brace, KYB shocks, 255/45/16 BFGs, V8 sway bars, new rod ends with poly bushings.

the back still seems to want to step out. Is there a remedy or do I just need wait to apply throttle in corners?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

rather than change the bushings in the rear control arms i replaced with boxed set from spohns. what shocks are you using?

Quick Reply: Improving Handling