Additional Front End Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Additional Front End Work

Good Morning Everyone...

So due to some unforeseen circumstances, it looks like I'm going to have to hold off on my front suspension project until next spring as the car is getting some body work done to it and then headed for winter storage. Can't believe its that time of the year already...

Anyway, I plan on replacing the front springs/shocks/mounts myself and I guess I have a three-fold question:

1) I won't be reusing any of the factory assembly and I know this has been a highly debated question on here, but what type of shock mounts would you recommend beyond the OEM mounts? The OEM ones are my #1 option, but the price is crazy so I haven't decided if I'm going that route yet or not... Moogs would be my second choice, I suppose.

2) Since I'll already have part of the front end of the car already taken apart, are there other components that you recommend that I either upgrade or replace while I'm doing the work?

and last but not least

3) Are there any special tools that you recommend that I use for a project like this? I won't have any air powered tools on hand, but I'll have LOTS of penetrating oil and I plan on buying/renting some spring compressors. I know the site that I was going to use as a guideline for this job recommended a 4" pickle fork to separate the upper control arm and the spindle arm (LS1Howto.com), but is there anything else I should have on hand? Any parts that I'm missing?

Minus the tools, here's what I'll have while I'm doing this little project:
- Strano Springs
- Bilstein Shocks
- New mounts, either OE or Moog
- New Isolators for each mount
- Anti Seize Lubricant and penetrating oil
- Do I need to buy spring seats?

As always, I appreciate your guys' help. Have a good week!

Sean

Last edited by gagger84; 10-19-2015 at 11:35 AM.