95 z28 front struts or shocks?

Old 09-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

The OEM shocks are known to be poor choices. You are much better off going with Bilstein or Koni. There are many threads on this topic on LS1Tech... Why would you recommend the OEM ones?

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
The answer depends upon who you ask. The GM service manuals call them shocks....but the GM parts manuals call them struts. Technically, they are shocks because they have no support purpose at the top like struts do. 3rd gen F-cars have struts and 4th gen cars have shocks. However, some auto parts companies call them struts, so be ready to see both terms interchangeably. For stock replacements, I recommend only GM's AC Delco brand.

As for the replacement, I hope your guy has the right tools and some good knowledge. The job is a bit tricky and you will probably need to replace the shock mounts while you are at it. And those are not cheap either.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
The OEM shocks are known to be poor choices. You are much better off going with Bilstein or Koni. There are many threads on this topic on LS1Tech... Why would you recommend the OEM ones?
Because they lasted me 100k miles.

As for LS1Tech, I used to be a member there until I got so fed up with the bad information and attitude that I left. Never will go back.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 09-13-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I got the KYB 341356 shocks put on yesterday and going to pick it up today. I've heard nothing but good things about KYB so that's what I went with. Thanks everyone for all your help

Old 09-21-2014, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear member

The kyb agx adjustable ones are awesome, I've only changed my adjustment's once.
5 in the front 4 in the rear

Ebay is the cheapest for those.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:04 PM

The answer depends upon who you ask. The GM service manuals call them shocks....but the GM parts manuals call them struts. Technically, they are shocks because they have no support purpose at the top like struts do. 3rd gen F-cars have struts and 4th gen cars have shocks. However, some auto parts companies call them struts, so be ready to see both terms interchangeably. For stock replacements, I recommend only GM's AC Delco brand.

As for the replacement, I hope your guy has the right tools and some good knowledge. The job is a bit tricky and you will probably need to replace the shock mounts while you are at it. And those are not cheap either.
Where did the diagram come from?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by jwreck
Where did the diagram come from?
They came from the GM parts manual but you can see/get them here:
Chevrolet Parts, Cadillac Parts, GMC Parts and Buick Parts powered by Nalley Buick GMC | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick
Select the make, year, model and category

Old 10-30-2014, 11:47 PM

They came from the GM parts manual but you can see/get them here:
Chevrolet Parts, Cadillac Parts, GMC Parts and Buick Parts powered by Nalley Buick GMC | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick
Select the make, year, model and category
Thanks!

Old 11-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Tech Droid

Many think that the original OEM suspension was a poor design, but when new it was as good as many of the "upgrades" being touted today. People compare the 20 year old parts they are replacing with new stuff and see a great improvement. This does not mean the new stuff is any better designed, it just means it is in much better condition.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
KYB 341356? Going by the picture on RockAuto, that is correct for the front. Ten bucks more and you can get KYB 741034 which is adjustable.

Personally, I wouldn't buy from RockAuto. A lot of times, the parts end up being more because of the shipping charge than your local parts store and second, if they are wrong or you have a warranty issue, you have to send them back and wait till they send new ones and a lot of times, you have to pay return shipping.

If you set on getting the most for your dollar, shocks from Strano is the way to go.
I've bought a lot of parts from RockAuto over the past few years and the parts are often but not always cheaper, even including shipping, than the local brick and mortar stores. Provided your using the cheapest shipping option anyway. As far as wrong parts or warranty issues, I always do my homework before purchasing anything online and have never had any issues with getting the wrong parts or parts failing.

Just my .02

Old 10-08-2015, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Gonna gravedig a little bit here with this thread. Good looking out on my part, was going to go cheap and get Monroe shock and struts. Gonna order part 70002 Bilstein shocks + struts with the Eibach springs. I don't think the 3/4" lowering will need me to roll any fenders or cut anything running stock wheel and tire size.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 z28 front struts or shocks?