01 v6 replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i was wondering if the asr has control over the throttle. it does on my truck, could be where the problem is.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
ASR = Traction control. It limits wheel spin by closing the throttle and I do believe quite possibly by putting line pressure to the spinning wheel.

And I see what you're talking about. My '93 didn't have those braided lines. I do believe the '97 does which would make sense since it has ASR.
Originally Posted by craby
i was wondering if the asr has control over the throttle. it does on my truck, could be where the problem is.
I think

MKCoconuts
98-02 v8 closes throttle, retards spark timing, and puts line pressure on the spinning wheel. V6 closes throttle and retards spark timing, does nothing with brakes. What I'm entirely unsure of is if brake action on the tc is determined by the type of rear diff, yes on lsd, no on open.

Craby
Technically yes but not directly. The ecm most likely acts on a signal from the abs module when spin is detected.

I'm pretty sure the light is due to me doing something stupid like connecting the positive to the fuse block after the battery is reconnected. I should have some idea when I get a chance to disconnect the battery to reset it.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

to do a full reset, take both battery cables off the battery and hold them together for half a minute or so. if you have any capacitors for your stereo you will need to unhook it. all your sensor memory should be cleared and will have to relearn.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:59 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by J-Factor
I'm pretty sure the light is due to me doing something stupid like connecting the positive to the fuse block after the battery is reconnected. I should have some idea when I get a chance to disconnect the battery to reset it.
I would find it hard to that would cause an issue with the TPS since no part of the TPS runs to the fuse block. It's straight to the computer. You can check the voltage the TPS is putting out. Should be .5V at idle.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
to do a full reset, take both battery cables off the battery and hold them together for half a minute or so. if you have any capacitors for your stereo you will need to unhook it. all your sensor memory should be cleared and will have to relearn.
I did a full reset over the weekend including holding the battery cables together and the light's still on.

QUOTE=MKCoconuts;709697]I would find it hard to that would cause an issue with the TPS since no part of the TPS runs to the fuse block. It's straight to the computer. You can check the voltage the TPS is putting out. Should be .5V at idle.[/QUOTE]

Which pin on the connector do I use to check? It's odd that there were no lights until it sat with the battery disconnected for days.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:19 PM
4th Gear Member

I honestly do not remember. I'll have to look in my book which is in my parents garage.

If you can a good scan tool, you can check it that way too. It is possible the codes were always there, just not kicking the light until you had disconnected the battery.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
I honestly do not remember. I'll have to look in my book which is in my parents garage.

If you can a good scan tool, you can check it that way too. It is possible the codes were always there, just not kicking the light until you had disconnected the battery.
I have DashCommand and Torque Pro on the tablet I keep in the car. I'll see if either one has a throttle position voltage gauge.