01 v6 replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 01 v6 replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings

I found out my ball joints, tie rod ends, and end links are shot when I was doing pads and rotors on my 01 v6 last weekend messing up my alignment. I'm going to be replacing the ball joints, tie rod ends, end links, and switching the control arm (keeping front bushing on the lca rubber to keep flex), sway bar, and link bushings to poly. Is there anything else I should be replacing while I've got the front end pulled apart?

Old 02-21-2016, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Use poly for the sway bars and end links.
Rubber is a better choice for the street in control arms .Poly will make the car ride harder and has a tendency to deform and get sloppy.
Moog makes good parts when shopping.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:35 AM
4th Gear Member

I used poly bushings in mine and didn't know a noise difference. It did tighten up the ride..however, new rubber bushings would have had the same effect when comparing worn out bushings.

Lower ball joints are going to hardest one to do. According to what I've read, GM intended for one to buy the whole control arm, not just the ball joint...much like many cars today. You can replace them but unless you have a shop press to get them out and back in, you're gonna have to take it to shop to have it done. You can use ball joint press that you can rent from the local auto parts store....but it's seriously a pain in the ****

Might as well do sway bar bushings if they're worn. That's about it for the front end.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
I used poly bushings in mine and didn't know a noise difference. It did tighten up the ride..however, new rubber bushings would have had the same effect when comparing worn out bushings.

Lower ball joints are going to hardest one to do. According to what I've read, GM intended for one to buy the whole control arm, not just the ball joint...much like many cars today. You can replace them but unless you have a shop press to get them out and back in, you're gonna have to take it to shop to have it done. You can use ball joint press that you can rent from the local auto parts store....but it's seriously a pain in the ****

Might as well do sway bar bushings if they're worn. That's about it for the front end.
My bushings are still intact, just want to upgrade while I've got everything pulled apart.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I ordered moog ball joints, inner and outer tie rods. I'm having trouble with a couple of things. First is figuring out the sway bar size and the weather has been too crappy the last few days to crawl under the car with calipers to measure them. Second is finding poly rear links, I can find fronts all day but no polys for the rear. Can I just buy poly bushings and reuse the bolts and sleeves? I mean unless the metal is bent or otherwise just effed it should be reusable. Also, the people on the Summit Racing chat support are useless.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:34 AM
1st Gear Member

V-6 30mm front/17mm rear sway bars

Old 02-24-2016, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Try rock auto thought seen them there,reusing the end links is fine.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:34 AM
4th Gear Member

Energy suspension has the rear end links. I'll see if I can get a part number when I get the chance.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

inner tie rod ends rarely go bad. outer on the other hand do

Old 02-27-2016, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 80sz
V-6 30mm front/17mm rear sway bars
Got under the car with my calipers today, fyi rear is 19mm

Quick Reply: 01 v6 replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings