Sofie's Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Cut the filter a part. The should be tiny flakes of metal in low volume. If there is more than normal then something is really wrong. If your have the normal amount of break in flakes then its either too much clearance in the motor or and pump/regulator issue.

Sorry I don't know how to explain normal. You could show it to the machine shop and ask them.

In my engine building days we always bought the best oil pumps then we tore them down and stoned all the edges and and cleaned and check everything. I have never found anything that would cause a issue but the old timer that was overseeing the builds said he lost too many engines to bad manufacturing practices in the past and will not loose another one. He also told me what we where doing is the same thing a gun smith does if you take a new gun to him. It only takes one missed bur from the machining process to jam a regulator. We also cut a part every break in oil filter to inspect for correct break in. I think you can even buy a oil filter cutting tool. All we had was a larger pipe cutter.

At the time it seemed overkill but we built (4-5) 500+hp SBCs per season and never had a failures in a first race. I can not remember a failure that was not tracked back to a external cause.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-15-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 AM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what oil pump is currently in the motor?

what oil pan is on the motor?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:00 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

I wanted to chime in. Its 15-40 diesel oik. I borrowed the preluber from work and it was already full. I used arp thread sealant on the studs. Cleaned the bolt holes with brake clean, allowed to dry, installed and wiped off excess. I used the arp lube on the nuts and thats where it is leaking from. The RA of the deck and heads ia suitable for using mls, but im going to go back to using fel pro, which are said to be good to 450whp. The oil pump and volume kit are modified by ZZP to clear the double roller chain. The front cover is a new oem part. However, when i went to install the oil pan, it would sit on the pick up tube. I knocked the dent out and didnt think to check the clearance. Im going to pull the pan and check it next.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you guys going to Carlisle regardless? 24 hours to go :P

Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yup we're still going. I'm going today and tomorrow in my S10 Blazer. Case is going tomorrow and Sunday in his third gen Camaro. They're letting me transfer my registration for the show from my car to my truck since I paid for it already (back in November). So look for the ugly square Blazer with the bad *** bumper

Old 06-17-2016, 10:06 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ok I'll keep an eye out for you! I'll be in the 93-02 modified section with my car Saturday.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:29 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by microkid
The front cover is a new oem part. However, when i went to install the oil pan, it would sit on the pick up tube. I knocked the dent out and didnt think to check the clearance. Im going to pull the pan and check it next.
that was where I was going with this, at least partly. I'd put a piece of clay on the pan where the pickup sits and see what kind of clearance you have as well as making sure its level and not tilted one day or another. Also, are you sure the oil pump was shimmed correctly?

Another question I would ask is how do you have the oil return running back to the pan? Is it on a side right near the pickup? I've seen the oil return actually cause aeration in the pan right near the pickup and it makes the oil pressure go haywire

Old 06-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The oil pressure issue has been solved. Turns out there wasn't enough oil in her. Case used a pressurized oil primer and I guess it pushed oil onto the dipstick making it read like there was enough oil. About a quart came out when trying to check the oil pump because the gasket let go (from testing, already had a new one). Case put more oil in to test and it was reading 60-80 psi. He cut the filter open after this to check and there wasn't any excess of wear or bearing material. So that should be good to go now. Still need new head gaskets though. I started putting the interior back in (never again with a roll bar, what a pain) and test fitted the seats to make sure everything still fit.

Name:  20160626_104518.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  181.2 KB

Name:  20160626_104605.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  401.6 KB

Old 06-26-2016, 09:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

easy fixes are the best. hope the head gasket is as easy. love the way you accent with that great color of pink. just enough to add class.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:33 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes I like the small pink details like the red on the door lock identifier is now pink :P

Quick Reply: Sofie's Turbo Build