Socom's LT1 -> LS1 Swap Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:36 PM
4th Gear Member

ya probley just better for my set up ,now being a carbed engine ,couse it feels like 40hp ,reality is probley 15 to 20 ,ya I got air shocks in the back helps an need to make adjustments down the road

Old 02-08-2016, 04:14 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Too buy a nice true duel system for our cars is a couple grand vs the couple hundred for the Y-pipe set up. Yes, one can fabricate it themselves, but why? It's not necessary for our cars. A full 3in exhaust till it hits the tail is more than enough. I tried doing the duel exhaust system on my car. It sounded awesome, but my mufflers scraped from sitting so low. Granted, that was on old worn out springs. I'm sure I'd have pop can clearance now with the new springs.

Looks and sounds good Socom! Keep it up.
Basically been driving it around town here and there weather permitting. Maybe she will be cammed before spring lol.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:22 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Here's a video for everyone!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:51 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your's sounds great, nice job. If you had to guess how many hours did it take? I realize you did a lot of upgrades but is there anything you would have had to buy once you had the doner car? Any advise to someone thinking about doing this?

My 2000 has a little piston slap cold and lifters like to tap cold. The lifter tap comes a goes. I can go a whole week with no tap then then it will start cold again. She is real quiet after 5 minutes.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:40 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
Your's sounds great, nice job. If you had to guess how many hours did it take? I realize you did a lot of upgrades but is there anything you would have had to buy once you had the doner car? Any advise to someone thinking about doing this?

My 2000 has a little piston slap cold and lifters like to tap cold. The lifter tap comes a goes. I can go a whole week with no tap then then it will start cold again. She is real quiet after 5 minutes.
Thanks Gorn! I have many hours into it, mostly was troubleshooting and wiring. I had to pull the trans like 3 times to troubleshoot slave issues. I probably spent 12+ hours alone looking at diagrams and getting all the wiring right. It's not abnormal for LS1s to piston slap though, I wouldn't worry about it if it goes away! Pulling the LT1 and putting the LS1 in was the easy part

Old 02-22-2016, 03:54 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Socom
Thanks Gorn! I have many hours into it, mostly was troubleshooting and wiring. I had to pull the trans like 3 times to troubleshoot slave issues. I probably spent 12+ hours alone looking at diagrams and getting all the wiring right. It's not abnormal for LS1s to piston slap though, I wouldn't worry about it if it goes away! Pulling the LT1 and putting the LS1 in was the easy part
Honestly what you did kind of scares me. Its one thing to retro fit a LS1 in to a older car but one that used electronics all thought it could be a nightmare to get all that stuff working. Heck even a megasquirt system does not scare me as much as what you did.

The piston slap did not show up until it got cold. and it does not do it on warmer (35+ deg days). I thought the piston issue was 98-99 thing but now that a search it I see in pretty common complaint on the 2000 also. I am pretty confident it is just a slightly too small piston. I remember GM sold thousands of cars in the 80's with the same issue funny it sound almost the same in a iron block as it does in Aluminum.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

better design a kit

Old 02-23-2016, 05:47 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
Honestly what you did kind of scares me. Its one thing to retro fit a LS1 in to a older car but one that used electronics all thought it could be a nightmare to get all that stuff working. Heck even a megasquirt system does not scare me as much as what you did.

The piston slap did not show up until it got cold. and it does not do it on warmer (35+ deg days). I thought the piston issue was 98-99 thing but now that a search it I see in pretty common complaint on the 2000 also. I am pretty confident it is just a slightly too small piston. I remember GM sold thousands of cars in the 80's with the same issue funny it sound almost the same in a iron block as it does in Aluminum.
Almost everything still works as intended. Heck even my security light went out and my security system started working again once I put the trans am column in along with its BCM + PCM Which means no security light on the dash! The only thing I need to work out is the air bag, my light was on before the swap but now after I think if I swap the plugs from the trans am to the old style lt1 it should plug right up and go off.

The wiring was pretty much a big matching game, I made a depinning tool out of a paperclip and went from there with all of the schematics from a 97 and 2002 car. If I had more time I would've deloomed the engine harness and removed the excess wires but that's a project for the future. I believe I only had to run two new wires, one for the coolant temp sensor (had to use a 98 style) and one new power wire for the coils.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:02 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Got the car on the dyno today! I was really impressed with how she did with just headers and an intake as the only bolt ons. Can't wait to see what it does at the track.

Name:  027537fe-20df-44b3-9bd2-9c0f01b4a56b_zpsdj5hdtrz.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  82.2 KB

Old 05-31-2016, 08:03 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow, nice numbers!!!

Quick Reply: Socom's LT1 -> LS1 Swap Thread!