New here need help asap secondary a.i.r check valve!!??

Old 08-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Default New here need help asap secondary a.i.r check valve!!??

Hey guys Chris here very new to this forum (30 mins) and i recently purchased a 97 z28 from Texas. Few minor problems but i bought this car to try to learn some on, maybe even baby it to give it a future (140xxx). First problem I'm trying to address here would be a secondary a.i.r check valve/hose. When i got the car i noticed a hose that had become brittle and cracked and one end popped off. After doing a lot of painful digging I've come to the conclusion it's got to be said hose. When i was looking at it i noticed a couple things, the first of which was no clamps on the hose, second was that the valve itself was a bit dark, maybe copper colored with a charred look too it, also due to the hose popping free there is a wire harness behind it that is starting to burn through. I'll include a picture here but I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me out. I found one site online that i could purchase the right discontinued parts at, as it looks like the previous owner may have just thrown a similar heater hose on it since this hose in particular was a real pain for me to find. I'm trying to order this part asap to get it here NOW but I'm torn trying to decide if i should assume the valve in the pic is bad and spend another 50+ on that or just purchase the hose and clamps for 40 bucks in hopes that the valve is fine. Also before making the purchase I'm hoping to find out, my ses light came on and gave the reading for the egr valve along with 02 sensor, is there much of a chance this repair will have an effect on those readings or should i go ahead and purchase those as well? I appreciate any input and look forward to getting to know you all a little better.

Attached Thumbnails New here need help asap secondary a.i.r check valve!!??-screenshot_2016-08-17-19-59-26.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear member

The purpose of the check valve is to stop exhaust gases from coming back into the AIR pump. Obviously, it is defective, leaking, and should be replaced. That may be why the hose is damaged. Fortunately the valve is very cheap and easily obtained. You may have to cut it off the manifold pipe though. I can't speak for the hose, however you may be able to put it back on with a clamp if it isn't damaged too much. I think there was a clamp on it originally, if it is like my 98.

I see the photo at shbox.com shows them having clamps for a 95: http://shbox.com/1/diverters.jpg

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-05-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:07 PM

Thank you!! I was about to purchase just the hose and clamps tonight in hopes that the valve would be ok. Possibly do you think that would be giving my car the bad egr reading? Or would i probably just have a bad egr on top of that? I just don't know if the bad air would in turn cause an egr to fail. Thank you again for all your input!

Old 08-25-2016, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear member

For the EGR, I doubt it, but what are the EGR code number(s)? May be causing some problems for the O2 readings. Again, what are the O2 codes so we can tell if its from the same side?