My 1995 3.4l Camaro build - V6 to V8 Conversion - PICTURES!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah but dont cry when i win lol.

Update:

Name:  IMAG0186_zps680876e2.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  91.9 KB
Just put in a weiland warrior intake which is a lot more low profile and dual plane. Probably lost a little high end horsepower but i dont rlly care. Care idles great at 600 now and sounds sick. Also put in a chrome tuff stuff one wire alternator.

Name:  IMAG0189_zpsb05a1a78.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  98.4 KB
Finished installing my radio. Also gutted my hvac gauges and used it for my toggle switches for my fan, fuel pump, and ignition.

Im driving it to the gas station now to get a drink )) lol

Old 06-28-2015, 07:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ellswortha101
Yeah but dont cry when i win lol.

Update:

Just put in a weiland warrior intake which is a lot more low profile and dual plane. Probably lost a little high end horsepower but i dont rlly care. Care idles great at 600 now and sounds sick. Also put in a chrome tuff stuff one wire alternator.

Finished installing my radio. Also gutted my hvac gauges and used it for my toggle switches for my fan, fuel pump, and ignition.

Im driving it to the gas station now to get a drink )) lol
ellswortha101 I am working on the same swap right now. Mine is a 94 camaro and I am putting a 383 stroker in it. The motor is already in it and I have almost everything figured out except for rewiring it..

Were you ever able to get your tach and speedo to work?

btw If anyone is interested id be happy to post some pictures of my build

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Time sure flies, ellswortha101 has not been log on this site for almost 2 years. I sure wish he would have finished the thread. With all the money he put into this project I am sure he finished it.

To answer you question the original tach and speedo are just meters that read signals from the PCM. The have nothing to do with an old school speedo or tach. Lucky for you I think you only have to replace the tach and speedo. 96 up every gage will need replaced.

Check out "95 camaro 406" thread or message him directly he went through this last summer.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-01-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Time sure flies, ellswortha101 has not been log on this site for almost 2 years. I sure wish he would have finished the thread. With all the money he put into this project I am sure he finished it.

To answer you question the original tach and speedo are just meters that read signals from the PCM. The have nothing to do with an old school speedo or tach. Lucky for you I think you only have to replace the tach and speedo. 96 up every gage will need replaced.

Check out "95 camaro 406" thread or message him directly he went through this last summer.
Bad news haha , but thanks for the reply!

Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 PM
4th Gear Member

they make a kit that should be able to use your speedo swap style about $150.00 ,just add a tach ,hooks up to distrubuter,my last page simplifies the swap ,all you need are you lights start wire ,not much ,I had a good ,electrical guy do mine ,though mine is z28 ,fit a bit better ,? what are you doing about windshield wipers ,then again yours may not be right behind the distributer ,how you going to work that grill back into place,they make a 2 inch x14 offset down an out to close your hood ,I had to buy like 3 air cleaners to make it work ,but probley better then what you have now look up th 350 speedo converter ,there is few different ways to google it,how long you been working on that,ya post more pics an videos . some guys want to know ,many give up ,you should explain your build for others ,I put a 3 core radiator in mine too

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 07-01-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
they make a kit that should be able to use your speedo swap style about $150.00 ,just add a tach ,hooks up to distrubuter,my last page simplifies the swap ,all you need are you lights start wire ,not much ,I had a good ,electrical guy do mine ,though mine is z28 ,fit a bit better ,? what are you doing about windshield wipers ,then again yours may not be right behind the distributer ,how you going to work that grill back into place,they make a 2 inch x14 offset down an out to close your hood ,I had to buy like 3 air cleaners to make it work ,but probley better then what you have now look up th 350 speedo converter ,there is few different ways to google it,how long you been working on that,ya post more pics an videos . some guys want to know ,many give up ,you should explain your build for others ,I put a 3 core radiator in mine too
I will post more stuff about it as I keep going, but really what I would like to do is make some sort of guide once I am done that covers all the main questions and different ways that it can be done. I was able to keep both of my wipers, the passenger side one is trimmed down to 2 bolts and i wont be able to use it until i get a low profile air filter that will sneak in underneath. For the hood I am not quite sure yet, I could either put a hood scoop or use the offset piece, but I kind of dig the hood scoop idea. The intake manifold used has a pretty big impact on how high the carb is going to fit and mine is not high so I got pretty lucky there. Ill find out the part number tomorrow after work. And yeah I need to do some more research and figure out what I want to do with my speed deal. Thanks for the input!

Old 07-01-2015, 09:53 PM
4th Gear Member

these kinda swaps are rare ,so I was told a lot of guys are trying to make there old ones efi or tbi,so .I was told that my swap one of the first to be posted online with sucess,of 6 weeks ,an about 60 hours ,the first was to be said to have took 2 years to figure out ,so there rare again I say ,guys are doing them not many posting online though,i have hear of big block in v6 but did not see it ,ya if you set it up right ,I think the next guy who does one like mine should be able to save time thats what its about,i like basically have a 1980 camaro in 95 frame you the same ,so some think these builds take to much time an cost to much ,but I think it can be made to science in real world terms ,it will be easyer to get a set up like I got ,then putting a hole in the hood yes offset forward an down ,fits down an around the carb ,an with mine hits the electric choke ,but I don't care about the choke,document your time it took to ,couse we relize now ,had we just known nothing lt1 was going to work other then the starter an the headers ,the pulley system is custom ,there was a lot of modifying that did not need to be done ,with mine ,great job you got 383 in v6 ,now just work it ,what you got for a tranny ,with my car the mechanic ripped out 95% of the wireing ,the lt1 was about 100lbs heavyer ,along with the tranny headers exhaust about 140lbs lighter now i think it can become more popular ,if guys can make it look easyer ,,just easery to work on to me ,looks better then an lt1 or v6 ,everything is plastic cover now over the engine ,don't get me wrong I like anything with an engine ,I seen one like mine made into a funny car ,they cut right back an put a piece of plexy glass in it ,with mine the wiper motor is right there,we have not looked into moveing it to better access my distributer ,but now seeing yours helps mine I am sure down the road ,so stay around the guys are cool ,an not like z28,crap ,those sites got to many big shots not it alls that know nothing si,so welcome to a layed back site with no bull,i got the same stereo its a good one works ,I think my intake sits lower ,with the 650 performer ,I am jelous the new version of my 406 has e street aluminum heads ,different intake an 513tlbs ,to the 458 I got now ,I love the extra power ,are you going with tru duals exhaust ,I will guess with 383 ,you will or have ,I got a friend has a 392 challenger shaker ,an has 438tlbs ,for 43.000 he better be ready for track an the street,i would rather have 2 or 3 camaros for that

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 07-01-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I wish someone would take the time to write up everything involved. I know you think that it will help but the fact is a good guide, "this is all the things you need to do thread" would most likely turn people away from the old school V8. There are just some many system you will need to touch to get this project on the road, the whole process will $100 dollar you to death.

The problem with writing a how to thread is that there is 10 different ways to handle every system. Lets take the motor mounts. You can make your own, you can modify the LT1's on a Lt1 cross member or you can buy a tubular. That difference could effect header fit, hood clearance, wipers.

We have only had a few people on this site do the swap but on the other sites I have seen dozens of builds in the last 10 years. Honestly in 80% of the cases I know of the owners regret the builds. If you cheap out or take any short cuts you end up with a very undependable car no one will work on and no one will buy it. In just about all the cases the owners end up taking the car apart and selling off the motor/trans and splitting up the rest of the car. I have yet to see anyone recoup 50% of the money in part they put into the car and forget labor. Some of the people I have seen that are the most adamant that this conversion is not worth it are people who have done it. That may be why there is not a lot of "how to" threads.

This is a nice conversion
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...v8-swap-78734/

Still the easiest/cheapest way to get into a 350+ HP dependable 4 gen is to find a Ls1 car with a blown motor ($1200-1500) Buy a 5.3 truck engine for $400 use the top end off the blown LS1 and add a Cam and a tune. You could be down the road for under 3K with 2 weekends worth of work (some pros could do this in a day) in a car that still gets 24 MPG highway and you could drive it coast to coast because every system and every part is doing exactly what it was designed to do from the factory.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-02-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If I were to attempt this kind of project, and didn't want to limit myself to a low profile intake manifold, before hacking up the cowl, I might look into using one of these crossram adapters to move the carb forward, in addition to it giving the intake a ram effect.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-01-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:33 AM
4th Gear Member

well with my build I did ,I wrote the simple way to do my swap in one long post,i guess it has to do with the time the unexspected changes that happen the parts one buys they don't need ,for example ,I guess it has to be done to get throught it ,if it is read carefully,looks like you came a long way though since 2 years ago,ses an I know everyone has there way there thoughts of how they would do it ,that makes it hard to ,though some good ideas helped mine along ,my build would be much simpler now then it was ,but actually it was not that bad looking at some others driveing it within 6 weeks,though there is some to compare with the v6 to v8 build of this kind ,there is a lot more involved in your build,then v8 to v8,? why did you take out the interior ,did you have to ,see if a certain amount of wires are kept like with my build ,there was not re wireing to do ,so alot taken out though ,if we start with one thing at a time mabey certain things could be eliminated for the next guy,so far my car runs great I have had it on many 100 mile trips ,my regret is only small ,an not real world ,I sometimes dream ,we all do,now from hear would I like a 1980 roller to put 383 in ,yes ,but my car is still a work in progress,some guys don't mind takeing 2 3 years on there 75 build ,other want it done faster ,I feel good about saying I will have that car with the same engine 10 years from now as long as I can keep those kid away from my front end hehehe,a 5.3 in v6 ,if I went that way I would have gone with 6.0 an a full rebuild ,not a used engine an most guys that come hear are not master mechanics,gorn is right that why I went with new or rebuilt components ,right now my car is running like a top ,next week looking into the alternator being over turned to fast making a noice ,an once again adjusting the valves ,I am running sefoam at every oil change for sludge build up ,so far you could eat off the engine ,,I don't take a lot of long trips with my car ,an its ok when compared to the old lt1 ,yes there is a lot of chrome one can get to make it look even better ,to me looks matter as much as how it runs ,but I don't mine if a guy has rebuilt engine that runs fine an does not look so good ,as much as it bothers me that my car is dinged up right now ,it will get fixed ,I keep it just as clean until I get there,if a guy want to use all used parts for these swaps then that could pose the problems gorn mentions,so I would have rather thown away few 100.00 then put a used engine with no clue how many miles are on it,refuring to those 80% who fail or don't last,i still have over a year on my warranty ,an if anything is going to happen ,probley would have been bye now ,breakin was hard for about 50 miles then easy for 500 miles an now I just drive it pretty much normal though I get on it every now an then its built for that ,i had my fun with the lt1 ,an may have more fun when I deside it time the car needs a new set of tires,ellsworth just kinda rambleing

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 07-02-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: My 1995 3.4l Camaro build - V6 to V8 Conversion - PICTURES!!