Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:32 PM
4th Gear Member

yes glad to hear camaro69 we had it hooked up as 2 wire the first time ,so now its red wire to back of alternator as well as battery cable .one brown to key an the other brown to the fuse box powered bye the key thanks guys think we are ok will keep an eye on it too ,we may need to shim out the pulley one more washer ,or tighten the belt a bit couse still just a slight squeak for a one second at start probley just need to tighten belt ,but so much better then before,we also found the use of belt dressing made it worse so I cleaned as muscof that crap off as I could ,it acts like grease ,an with the tentioner we have more belt on the water pump ,much stronger set up then the old one we found he had on the one wire bracket a one inch peace of metal was the weak point ,now its Anchored down the way it should be into the head too thanks guys

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-12-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Default 1993 z28 with th400 trans 406 swap

I'm about to start the swap in my 93 z28z I have already put a th400 in it with new crossmember and new driveshaft and 3500 stall converter and manual valve body. Now to the motor what all has to be changed to run and carb'd 406 in it. I plan on running it off a 6al ignition. And I know I'll need motor mounts but will I need any of the lt1 wiring? The only accessory I plan on having is a alternator. Also will lt1 headers work with the 406?

Old 10-23-2016, 02:26 PM
4th Gear Member

well somwhere between pages 15 an 19 i explain how the build went i was told that with a 93 i could have used the stock trans as it has a kick down cable an simple compared to 95 ,for the th350 to work i needed a 6 inch extention for it to work stock cross member ,an the trans has 2 stage shift kit with 2800 stall ,stock drive shaft worked fine then msd ignition hei was used ,we used the lt1 mounts were modified ,setting the engine in the car is the easy part,i did not do the wireing ,i had guy who knew what to take out an what not to ,i can say this alot of wires came out ,made sure the ones for the starter ignition an gas gauge lights were the only thing left ,had to install a new tach water guage an voltage guage,,with your engine you will need a low profile intake as well as the air cleaner ,mine is a 406 from Racing Parts, Safety Gear, and Performance Upgrades - Karl Performance ,another thing i have not done yet is there is a mecanical speed odmetor kit that will make the stock one work,but yes i was told if i had 93 things would have been different an easyer ,what you should do is read my whole thread ,then start your own right hear ,i would like to see another one ,could go with 355 too ,but if you dont want a hole in the hood or sunoco hood ,low profile is the way ,after many mods this is what it looks like now ,to go with sperpintine set up was a challenge too,wich saves 15% hp though or up too ,used oppostie turning steering pump too ,also what i have is 94 olds 105 amp alternator with an Old shcool resister 100ohm to make sure the volts were 3v going from the battery to alt couse 12 burns it out. i had a 70 amp mini alt for clearance purpose but it did not work for long it was not bolted to the head like this one,but once you take out all the wireing not much amps are needed the 105 is plenty ,you can see it in the picture to the left on the shock tower white 100 omh resistor ,start a thread hear an post pictures of what you have an plan on haveing alot of patience ,mach up ,i went with all new parts,an a 3 core radiator made by champion was part of the clearance issue ,but it was for lt1,the only thing i have lt1 anymore are the engine mounts headers an thats about it, post alot of pics ,on things about this build is ,its a zs8 car ,not a base car ,those are far harder an alot more work ,an while we had my engine in there runing in 40 hours ,its working out the glitches ,2 years later i have been driveing it the whole time though ,i need to redo my true dual exhaust from the headers back with cherry bombs round ,spacers for the sway bar ,as my harmonic ballance rubs sometimes ,but i can also go with a smaller one to or combo of ,front shocks ,next year a few other things,the,i will have a car i can take just about anywhere ,so it was alot of live an learn looking back a ls3 may have been the better choise ,but still not bad for franken car ,its loud an turns heads more the ever ,after you do this a stock ls1 will be a great car to move to ,thats on my bucket list,an some mods that can bring them to a 600 hp car for about 6k, i also have a bunch of pictures at my garage my 115gph fuel pump is in the back of the car now too,the stock 10 bolt is holding up ok but i need to rebuild it to 3,42 to handle 550hp will be my choise over a $3000.00 12 bolt ,the cars wont have good resale value but conversation ,an the gen 1 car guys love to see them

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-23-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:38 PM
4th Gear Member

the stock lt1 heater hoses work fine too .Another thing is the Distributor .while the cap an wires are easy enough to get to if it needed to be replaced either a hatch or the engine has to be pulled for a new one ,i used a composite gear wich was 100.00 over brass ,so that is that should last a long time + hei Distrbuters are better an rarely need replacement before 100.000 other then cap an rotor,an i hear they even last longer ,with about 5k miles on mine so far runs fine ,but theres alot of mods to do ,an my front end mod was becouse of an accident ,an i like the 98-02 look better now ,other then if i could find a 96 97 ss ,learned alot from this ,next time will be a 92 back to a 77 they have so much more space ,though this is easyer to work on then most lt1 cars are , i kinda see why guys want to keep there cars stock though ,an why i mention a stock ls1 car for the next car

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-23-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:54 PM
4th Gear Member

your high amp alternator from the lt1 wont work,if your going carb,when takeing out the wireing the lights ignition wires gas tank wires are about then only thing left alt wire,are the basic things left ,we had half trash can full of wires took out an deleted ,also you will need a different fuel pump as well,,an if your engine has 8 inch harmonic balancer,you will need 6.75 ,other wise it will rub on the sway bar when you hit bumps ,then it takes time to work out the quirks ,mine next year is geting new front shocks the 6.75 balancer,the exhuast redone,then should have very reliable car go anywhere

Old 11-24-2016, 12:56 PM
4th Gear Member
Default ???????

Originally Posted by Dabbott9612
I'm about to start the swap in my 93 z28z I have already put a th400 in it with new crossmember and new driveshaft and 3500 stall converter and manual valve body. Now to the motor what all has to be changed to run and carb'd 406 in it. I plan on running it off a 6al ignition. And I know I'll need motor mounts but will I need any of the lt1 wiring? The only accessory I plan on having is a alternator. Also will lt1 headers work with the 406?
where you at with this build ???? if you have a 93 the stock trans should work out as it was not electronic shift yet,i seen a 96 build on ebay guy has 383 stroker carbed ,an the guy wants 20k ,he dont relize most will not pay half that ,couse most guys want a stock car ,or something they can mod the way they want we hardly ever get paid for mods ,but sometime if you get the right guy that wants something like this ,that is why i plan to keep this till its paid off in about 2- 3 more years ,i have seen guys put 60k into these cars an get 15k at auction still the efi car though,so we need to plan the drive them for a long time ,or take a loss its sketchy when one does these swaps

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 11-24-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:32 PM
4th Gear Member

well got the new balancer damper 6.75 will give the clearance i have needed at the sway bar i was thinking about clear coating it to keep it from rusting ? its externaly balanced ,the engine maker said to just make sure we keep the same mark an check the timeing,it has the 8 inch should have been done way back in the begining ,also doing shocks ,an pretty much the whole suspenion car should drive like alot better handeling

Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 AM
4th Gear Member

Clear coat or spray and wipe with some WD40.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:29 AM
4th Gear Member

thats a good idea as well i am thinking its something thats not realy seen ,so i may clear it or not ,got a new compressor for the jobs ,an any nasty tight bolts too this year thanks MK

Old 12-21-2016, 11:11 PM
4th Gear Member

Clear would go further than WD40 since it's a moving object. Not that WD40 wouldn't work...just not sure how well it'd "cling" spinning 7k

Quick Reply: Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406