Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406

Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 PM
4th Gear Member

Buy a K & N, Bosch DP, or Wix filter and don't look back. Add a zinc additive along side what ever oil you choose since you're running flat tappets. If it was just driving around town I'd say don't worry about the additive. Our Satellite has a flat tappet cam but it's just a cruiser, not a race car, so I don't add the additive.

BTW, Castrol makes a 5W-40 and 5W-50 oil. Both would work well cruising and racing. Rotella T6 5W-40 is good too.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:55 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Buy a K & N, Bosch DP, or Wix filter and don't look back. Add a zinc additive along side what ever oil you choose since you're running flat tappets. If it was just driving around town I'd say don't worry about the additive. Our Satellite has a flat tappet cam but it's just a cruiser, not a race car, so I don't add the additive.

BTW, Castrol makes a 5W-40 and 5W-50 oil. Both would work well cruising and racing. Rotella T6 5W-40 is good too.
got k&n in it now had wix after that fram is fine if this engine last 10 years I will be happy I want to upgrade some thing down the road to more hp .......mk,its only going to take 5 years to pay oft off after headers gauges rearend body braces an some other goodies

Old 10-09-2014, 09:37 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts

My z28 wiped 2 cams because I wasn't using zinc oil. So be careful. I switched to Valvoline VR1 20w50 and it loves it

Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Socom
My z28 wiped 2 cams because I wasn't using zinc oil. So be careful. I switched to Valvoline VR1 20w50 and it loves it
I like this ,it shows the opion factor I don't plan on switching until the engine is brock in vr1 comes in 5w30 it just has to be ordered I may just choose that way ,now whats brock in the builder say 1000,they used to say 20.000 miles years ago,mine seems to like it to better then the breakin oil, only the cold starts concern me ? do you run it full time meening you don't use anything else ,they say there comes a time when one can use about anything after breakin,it seems one guy is saying use zinc for the life on the engine an other saying to 1000,then go with what you know ,I am getting a bottle of zddp couse right above right that vr1 does not have enough zinc in it zddp will be better with it ,or any desent oil it what he said ,My ? I wait on now isaid you think I should run zinc the life on the engine waiting response, confusion one guy said one thing one another from the builder I guess to be safe buying a case of zddp might be a good idea OH? I hear those adatives don't store well ,or mabey its the breakin oil itself .I hear its got a lot of mineral oil in it too.got a couple of bottle of zddp+,do you live In hot or cold or both.like for me I have about 2 months of running the car at ore below 50f ,the rest of the time 60 or above ,when I ran it 20-w50 years ago I lived in florida

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-11-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Use what the builder says to use. He know the parts and the clearances better then anyone else could.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:18 PM
4th Gear Member

yes I hear you but to explain when I bought the engine the sales guys also the guy who knows a lot about the oldshcool engines said to me to use the breakin oil to 1000 then I could use any oil ,then during my install he went to work at the dealership,an another guy talks about the addative ,I guess I wil get a straight answer tomorrow ,I just asked him so use zinc the life of the engine ,I guess I don't mind knowing I have the extra protection allways an stp had zddp to ,I got few bottles on the way ,the 2 ounse stuff is to be more pure I was allways told keep it full not below not to much above on the dip stick,that 406 holds a bit over 5 quarts about a 3rd to half a quart I would say is what the filter holds so I can switch to full syn I just need to bottle of zddp I keep saying that couse I seem the best one for addatives some have to much other stuff in them ,I will probley try in spring the vr1 5w30 with zddp ,they say even the vr1 only had about 20% of what you need for flat tappit engines ,an then will be the headers first thing an to get rid of the cat ,for about 30 more hp,I know it starving for air ,got my quages to need to find desent tach o got one on my wish list about $60.00. speedo will be last,the car is running great ,iwas told by the builder theres not enough zinc in vr1 ,so that vr1 an zddp will be fine an not to much zinc I can also choose like valvoline conventional oil with zddp,they said vr1 now only has 10 to 20% of what is needed now ,rotella as well hardly no zinc anymore ,i hear a lot of guys like it. to cheap for me,the car is running great ,got some seafoam for storage ,with them talking 70 next week I thinking yes keeping it out as long as possible ,who knows mabey early December as long as the snow does not fall,i oput mine away afer the first snow ,depeding how late in year not october in 8 years,lots of complements on the car unlike this site ,people love it .doin car shows next year ,this site I lame ,but helpful when I needed it ,people don't know how to give complements ,I have given many other like you car is nice ,in person they say I love it ,if your not leaveing posts ,then pleace don't read ,most are so selfish all they think about I there self ,I think about joining other forums ,in real life hear I can go anwhear with out many hey nice car ,you guys well let say lame is the only word I can think of for this forum,no one knows how to complement another I live near keene NH even they are nicer,of I can use 20/50 in spring an summer an 10w10 in fall towards winter mabey zddp,so no matter what I use for oil 2ounes of zddp seems to be the BOMB an my warranty good for the 2/years 24000,i got to say there are some plain looking cars hear to ,I dislike flat black on black the most

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 10-22-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-15-2014, 12:44 PM
4th Gear Member

storeing mine early with this crazy weather ,in my own garage ,put seafoam in it ,an febuary march will put the headers in gauges tach ,drive it ,then move on to rearend ,following the thread hear ,,it ran great for what we did I love it so far ,I don't like puting it away ,but I allways enjoy it that much more ,besides a much needed vacation to punta cana dp in feb for 3 weeks ,will help shorten the winter I hope

Old 02-21-2015, 03:35 PM
4th Gear Member

I am ready the weather is not ,I hope to bringing it in next 3 weeks ,it may be longer couse we all know the winter was bad still is, i got a set of panther headers for now black as unless you spend a lot on certain ceramic ones they all turn color,set of single chamber flo pro ,to run the true duals ,I got the different fuel pump will try ,at some point, the gauges all I need is tach now ,then just run it easy until I deisde wich way to go with rear end,wich I think will be to rebuild the one in it following the post on it ,few good things about the forum ,probley run 2,5 inch pipe depeding on clearances ,then see what shape my tips are in may reuse them ,but it will be nice to have the gauges an real exhaust should notice better throttle response hp,thinking about hydroglide shifter for th 350 ,with the shift kit in it

Old 03-29-2015, 02:05 PM
4th Gear Member

time to do the headers next Monday .I was going with a cluster then I found these liitle pods ,you can put anywhear an take up a lot less room 2 inch ,so like the rpm guage I just bought the pods separate .did not put a lot into cost of quages ,but I did notice trying to cluster them without putting them on the dash is not happening so with these I save a lot of room ,can probley fit 3 of them in the center console under stereo the pivit to move them to

Old 03-29-2015, 02:08 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
time to do the headers next Monday .gauges I was going with a cluster then I found these liitle pods ,you can put anywhear an take up a lot less room 2 inch ,so like the rpm guage I just bought the pods separate .did not put a lot into cost of quages ,but I did notice trying to cluster them without putting them on the dash is not happening so with these I save a lot of room ,can probley fit 3 of them in the center console under stereo the pivit to move them to
let it breath true duals ,few other things to work out,dont know about you guys but this year more then ever ready to get my car out on the road,i think they will look good this year beside what I am doing cleaning up inside to so will post pics hoping bye end od april ,ready for the show ? how many guys would use black trim with 3m tape to cover up the tears headliner around the tops ,there not more then one inch all the way around ,so cheaper then replaceing the headliner ,about 20,for the trim its about 1.5 inch wide an would cover up ,the rest of my headliner is fine ,actually in the whole car its the only thing worm beides on small hole in drivers seat with cover now

Attached Thumbnails Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7580.jpg  

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 03-29-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406