Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM
4th Gear Member
Default heheehhehe hope right

Originally Posted by craby
i see the shaft for the air cleaner sticking up threw. lol. i was wondering how the heck it was held on.
looks like the wing nut it does its held on bye the carb stud if it anything at all cant tell for sure its close just like he said looks like I will have to go with 4 inch air cleaner will see , will see I could live with that ,a top engine mount we can call it ,I guess theres hope after all ,now who knows. now its another question ??? wich side should be put the ac on I told the mech while I want it guickly will be putting the compressor in next spring,there has to be universal mount as its going to hit the water pump keeping it on the left side of the engine will have to sit out away to line up ,that guy has a serious motor there ,?you got other pics camaro 69 ,did that come from this site ,if not wich one ,would be nice to talk to that guy thanks for posting that ,that helps me feel better couse while in some states you can drive without a hood Not NH ,putting a blower one would take a lot of mods I am not sure I would want to do,looks like they make a top engine mount for the AC on the left ,I guess I will have him mount to one wire alternator on the right an ,then I should just be a matter of a longer belt too ,learned a lot about that to as I had to get the alternater bracket an power streering bracket ,I guess real the only thing that realy work right from the lt1 is the power steering an the starter,though I think I am going to replace power streering with a oldshcool one ,they got a nice chrome one for like 200.00 built in resvoire,some guy was right you change everything with do time ,yes like some guy said spending alot now to save later though ,will sure be nice to work on an old school motor to the ones today cheaper to fix you guys are tough ok

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-20-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:35 PM
4th Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by craby
that's a race car an probley a big block ,an theres a lot $$$$$ in that car only guess to say 5 to 10 times more ,looks like it one thing for sure it fiberglass winshield can only imagine the money tied up in that ,with the 2 seats wel it says drag week so guess as to why it has to seats in it ussally one for drags is it

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-21-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:43 PM
4th Gear Member
Default update

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
that's a race car an probley a big block ,an theres a lot $$$$$ in that car only guess to say 5 to 10 times more ,looks like it one thing for sure it fiberglass winshield can only imagine the money tied up in that ,with the 2 seats wel it says drag week so guess as to why it has to seats in it ussally one for drags is it
got tranny today ordered denso mini alt 70amp the bracket an power steering bracket an fuse protector ,the old bracket was not going to work ,got the engine mounts on serpentine pulleys the flex plate on ,monday one more mach up to make sure they only need to do in once ,could be runing he said Monday but I am leaveing it up in the air .buy not rushing them I think I get more respect,an I better job to,though.to take out engine I got to say about 8 hours includeing the radiator an 1.5 hours on the tranny I am hope no more then 30 hours labor they gave me a lot of free time too .,an to concider we started this 5 weeks ago I drove it for another 2 an only about 3 weeks down aprox throuble shooting an geting parts waiting ,I am more then happy with the time its taken ,I knew it was not going to happen overnight man just one week behind ,thats not bad with the help from you guys was that mr freeze thank you were right about the tranny an I learned alot wich may actually make me helpful to someone down the road thanks again ,update Monday more pictures an one of the manifold leak on the lt1,now to research the under dash ac unit I had forgot my brother had one an an old 1978 ford elete was cold to

Attached Thumbnails Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7043.jpg   Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7044.jpg   Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7045.jpg   Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7048.jpg  

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-22-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:03 PM
4th Gear Member

well monday is the day going to put the 350 turbo in then the engine ,just checked the tracking on the brackets ,looks to be on time ,though want get until like 2pm hear ,plenty of work to be done ,I don't see it running Monday but hope Tuesday,i am going to try to be there to take pics other wise leave my cam with them ,an try to help if I can ,an watch an learn thanks for all the help guys ,it has been a fast swap ,I am trying not to count my chickens ,an will be on the window switch ,making to see if works or not I think as long as it done right they should work let ya know ,going to get flexplate bolts ,then probley hoses a belt an hopeing no much else other then some of the goodies I got to make it look good

Old 08-24-2014, 10:33 PM
4th Gear Member
Default see

yup an they make a low profile air cleaner about half inch to spare that's pretty much the same motor what kinda hp you making in that 69 gore it nice ,as I can see putting a blower would be chakeging but that exactly wear the mech said the air cleaner would sit looks like 6inch ,hope my 10 works ,if not there cheap though I think fing a good k&n would be best for a cleaner carb I would imagine need cleaning more often,oh craby I new my mech was young but not totally wrong ,
I can see the AC compressor down there to ,will make that happen ,next year boys

Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Out of curiously, how are you handling the fuel pressure? Your factory fuel pump output 48 PSI you carb is going to have an issue over 6 PSI. Most guys have to pull the tank and make a new sending unit.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:34 AM
4th Gear Member

fuel pressure gauge taping into runs at about 5 psi ,ok its got the joe gibbs oil in it one hand did not know from sale to the engine so forget all my research they are not supposed to ship an engine with oil in it,but they did .

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-28-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:15 PM
4th Gear Member

just like the guy in that picture mine is right wear the computer was he choose to run a line an put is on the left side to better reach the carb ,mods the manifolds had to be mounted an modified to fit. the motor mounts also modified to work some good old welding ,his guy is a good welder ,the egine went in an about 30 minutes ,we had the talk though ,there was a lot more then he thought or me to this ,so now guys can read the thread an deside for themselves ,I will add up total in end ,li think we are at the point wear I have seen enough of them an them me ,give it time I guess I would still say no other way ,an could have spent a lot more for a good 383 stroker fuel injected ,probley 7.000.00 alone ,then would had to do tranny anyway ,I wanted more power ,an I am getting it at a price I think still less then staying with an lt1 built to 383 from gm has anyone priced those lately ,I have $9000.00 an then some ,don't know hope we fire it up tomorrow ,pics from today

Old 08-28-2014, 05:26 PM
4th Gear Member
Default pics

just like the guy in that picture mine is right wear the computer was he choose to run a line an put is on the left side to better reach the carb ,mods the manifolds had to be mounted an modified to fit. the motor mounts also modified to work some good old welding ,his guy is a good welder ,the egine went in an about 30 minutes ,we had the talk though ,there was a lot more then he thought or me to this ,so now guys can read the thread an deside for themselves ,I will add up total in end ,li think we are at the point wear I have seen enough of them an them me ,give it time I guess I would still say no other way ,an could have spent a lot more for a good 383 stroker fuel injected ,probley 7.000.00 alone ,then would had to do tranny anyway ,I wanted more power ,an I am getting it at a price I think still less then staying with an lt1 built to 383 from gm has anyone priced those lately ,I have $9000.00 an then some ,don't know hope we fire it up tomorrow ,pics from today
,will show more soon then when its detailed ,not a spec of rust under the car other then the rear end an that happens to them all ,if the car was not so solid ,I guess I would have had second thoughts ,got to get some steel to beef up the uni body an have some frame next year that an rear end mouser axles stuff they say is good 28 spline ring an pinion ,

Attached Thumbnails Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7075.jpg   Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7079.jpg   Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7083.jpg   Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7086.jpg   Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406-dscn7088.jpg  

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-28-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

fuel pressure gauge taping into runs at about 5 psi ,ok its got the joe gibbs oil in it one hand did not know from sale to the engine so forget all my research they are not supposed to ship an engine with oil in it,but they did .
I am confused, You have 5 PSI of fuel pressure? How did you get that. Your Camaro had a 48 PSI system that must recirculate continuously or you will fry the pump. Most guys pull the pump out of the tank and make a straight pick up tube. Then they mount a lower pressure electric pump outside of the tank.

Quick Reply: Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406