1996 Camaro Z28 Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:04 PM
4th Gear Member

ok i see that, no need to spend $500,00 there is the gm part on ebay for $95.00 an there are others with life time gurrantee for like $65.00 i would just never spend that much for the reason above ,that an a water pump could cost $1000 at a shop + some,, an on a used lt1 i would never do that ,no matter how low the miles are or were.plus i think he is talking about the Icm,but its a bit confusing i dont go by what i hear all the time on the net or i would not have bought the 99 caddy couse of the head gasket issues i hear about. but a test was done on mine good pressure in all 8 cyl, i just like bang for my buck ,if i would have bought the 96 z28 with 90k resently that needed way to much work for $1500.00 i would be puting the least exspencive parts in it. its a myth more times then none couse one or 2 guys got a bad part, the $49.00 opti is as good as the rest ,proof was the 40k i had on mine an was still working,i just do tune ups to all new cars to me with over 50k,there are reports about all kinds even Msd haveing problems there is a way to test them too .an also ways on how to improve an opti spark an make them perform better google,an they had what looked like the gm version alot of them are replacement for oem but the same ,not saying your car is anything like the one i mention ,but good ones dont meen alot of money ,there are even storys about Delphi too, i would google how to test opti if your worried about a new old stock one not working right ,most are called the opti II meens they made improvements over orignals,mine sat for over a year before i had it put in

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 01-29-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Having a '93, it was worth it for a few reasons. MSD is vented so it helps keep moisture and ozone out of the opti, leading to longer life. The components used are heavier duty and the screws that came on rotor already had loctite on them (though I added more). The main wiring harness is also sealed into the unit unlike the factory style which has a intermediate plug in between, which can fail. I also like that it can be rebuilt if need be. I stuck it on 3 years ago and haven't had an issue since vs others where I might get a year at most from them.

Honestly, having done the job a few times, I'd probably do it for people for $100 and some beer.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:25 PM
4th Gear Member

i hear you on that one ,it is a job that once you did the water pumps a few times gets easyer to do the next time,

Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep guaranteed for the life of the company. lol. chandlers sold one with that. dont see em around no more. delco is a good product but not intended for more spark like the msd. i went with coil per cylinder setup that uses the opti for the cam and crank sensors and thats it so no spark inside so no corrosive gas.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:18 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I haven't updated this thread in forever, time I remedy that.

I went to the Michigan F-Body Association's annual Meet & Greet Car Show and brought home some hardware:

One of my exhaust hangers broke, and I was in a pinch, so I improvised a solution:

I replaced my Chandler Opti, which caused misfire issues at high RPM and when lugging at highway speeds, with a reman ACDelco unit from RockAuto:

Only issue it still has is that now on every startup it throws a P0336 crank position sensor code. Never threw it once before the opti swap. I haven't had much luck finding any definitive answers as to what the cause is, or what the fix is, other than that it's related to the Opti. Doesn't seem to be causing any drivability issues, though. It only sets on startup, never while driving.

Last weekend I accomplished my goal of driving the car back to Wisconsin for my 10-year high school reunion. About 900 miles over the weekend, with no issues. I don't have the AC working yet, so I had the tops off pretty much the whole drive. It did a number on my already-deteriorating headliner:

Fortunately there's a shop right next door to where I work that does headliners. A few short hours and $150 later, all better!

Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did you take the cap off and thread lock the rotor screws? only thing i can think of is the opti wire harness.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:21 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by craby
did you take the cap off and thread lock the rotor screws? only thing i can think of is the opti wire harness.
I did not. I was going to, but the screws holding the cap on had really weird heads that I didn't have a tool for, and I couldn't find any at the local parts stores, so I just said heck with it and installed it. The harness going to the opti was new with the unit, and it was sealed where it plugs into the unit, so I didn't want to tamper with it.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You sure you didn't bump, break, dislodge or disconnect the crank position sensor while working on the opti? The cps is there only to detect a cylinder misfire, it won't cause one. The new opti could be at fault though, since it works in unison with the cps.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:50 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You sure you didn't bump, break, dislodge or disconnect the crank position sensor while working on the opti? The cps is there only to detect a cylinder misfire, it won't cause one. The new opti could be at fault though, since it works in unison with the cps.
I think I did remove the bolt and re-insert it, but nothing more than that. I'll inspect it more closely.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:44 AM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Holy crap, has it really been this long since I've updated this thread????

To be fair, there haven't been a whole lot of updates. But here are the updates I do have:

1. Closing the loop from forever ago, I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, and that fixed the problem I was having last time I was in this thread.
2. Winter of 2018-2019, I finally ditched the uber-janky exhaust system I'd been running since the car was first built:

And replaced it with this:

I went with the Hooker Blackheart true-dual exhaust.

I also installed a new set of Pacesetter stainless race headers, so the entire exhaust system is brand new. And let me tell you, it sounds AWESOME.

3. I got a 2013 Focus ST as a new DD last fall, so that's been getting most of my automotive attention. But during quarantine, I decided to start poking around a little under the hood of the Camaro. With all the shows and stuff canceled, there hasn't been a whole lot of motivation to get it shined up, but I got a new hood liner last year that I'm finally installing. I figured I'd add a custom touch to it. Didn't turn out perfect, but I think it will still look nice!

Quick Reply: 1996 Camaro Z28 Project Thread