Radio Wiring Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Radio Wiring Issues

I know i posted about this before but its pissing me off i can only get 1 speaker to work. I had to reattach the wiring to a junkyard harness to get a radio to work. I can not for the life of me get it to make more than 1 speaker work at a time. I have all the wiring attached to the proper color on the harness and still nothing. Not enjoying the radio like this. I just spent another hour out trying 1 wire at a time against the different colors leaving the working purple wires together. Pulling a purple and trying a wire made the same speaker work but in different car locations from the sound of it. Green went back speaker on left but the right worked, purple same speaker but for its current spot which was correct, white same speaker, grey same speaker. All this was found by leaving the purple and black wire together and trying the other color wires to the solid purple wire. Seems the harness isnt good. I did buy another aftermarket attaching harness to be safe before and it didnt make a difference. Is is at all possible to change out the whole radio harness without rewiring the speakers?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i went all aftermarket, wired speakers and got the adapter harness to wire in everything but the speakers threw the existing wiring.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My wiring is F'd up so bad i cant have more than 1 speaker working. I need help or the ability to replace the wiring for the harness to the main part.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear member

Where are you seeing a purple wire? Or a black wire? Or a white wire? The speakers wire colors for last 80's and most 90's GM are: grey and tan for left front, light green and dark green for right front, brown and yellow for left rear, light blue and dark blue for right rear.

None of the following should go to the speakers (except black and orange to speaker/amps if a Bose system):
Black wire is the radio ground, grey (almost white) wire is light dimming, yellow is switched power, orange is continuous power, brown wire is lights-on.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Im seeing them on my wiring harness from the radio and the adapter between to hook them up.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Neither helps me. I dont have bose, and i only have 1 speaker that wants to work. If i hook it up for other speakers only the one works. Everything is wired correctly.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM
3rd Gear Member

Are you trying to say that you can get one speaker to work at a time if you hook it up to one of the speaker output wires. You are using the same output wire to make all the speakers work one at a time.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

No im not that stupid to try and use 1 speaker output. Green to green, green black to green black and so on to matching colors on the aftermarket wiring adapter as its suppose to be attached.

Quick Reply: Radio Wiring Issues