Are my new speakers defective?

Old 07-23-2016, 02:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Are my new speakers defective?

I am pretty upset right now as I just spent $400 for new speakers and they barely sound any better. I ended up getting the level 3 Camaro package from kee audio Camaro Page however they sent me the dvc (dual voice coil) version of the hd-6msub for some reason instead of the svc but that's not a big deal because I just wired it in parallel for the 2 ohm load for my 02 Camaro with monsoon. After installing all the speakers the only ones that gave a decent improvement in sound were the rear hatch ones. The new subs don't seem to hit as hard and don't have as much fullness (midbass) as the factory ones did (yes I wired the new subs correctly for a 2 ohm load and used dynamat to fill in the small gap between the sub and the mating surface).
Next the front speakers they sound a little better and crisper in the upper frequencies (id say above 1khz) however they also have somewhat less fullness (midbass) and sound kinda tinny compared to the oem ones.
I'm pretty sure I wired these up correctly as well (spliced the tweeter wires from the oem connector to the tweeter on the new door speakers and the other 2 wires from the oem speaker connector used crimp terminals to the main 6.5" speaker ) The instructions are on kee audios website as well. These new ones (KA-61CV.2 which are custom made by cdt audio for kee audio to fit into camaros they are 2 ohm speakers with 4 ohm tweeters so the impedence is the same as oem). Not only am I not satisfied with the sound, I have to turn the volume up to a higher level to get the same loudness as with the oem speakers about 15 out of 40 with the oem speakers is the same as about 18 with the new ones. Worst of all the door speakers during some songs are staticy sounding under high volume (30 out of 40 or higher) and if there is a drum beat with bass to it they crackle above about half volume. My headunit is a pioneer AVH-4200NEX ( volume goes up to 40) I was thinking is it possible the new speakers are too power hungry for the oem monsoon amp? (the new door speakers are 170w rms) or did I just get defective speakers? I am seriously considering going back to oem door speakers which now I have to get new ones cause I threw them out. I cant find new oem ones anywhere it looks like they used to have them on amazon https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-93618...cm_wl_huc_item but it seems like they don't stock them anymore, anywhere else I can get them?
Here is a video of what I'm talking about, the first part is the staticy sound, the volumes at 35 out of 40 and the second part is the crackling. The volume gradually goes up to 25.
Also as a side note I purchased my Camaro not too long ago and actually never even turned up the stock speakers past about half before I took them out can anyone confirm if the stock ones sound staticy or crackle like this under high volume/bass?
speakers - YouTube

Last edited by Warren02SS; 07-23-2016 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it does sound like they are underpowered. here interesting info i found looking Monsoon FAQ - LS1TECH

Old 07-24-2016, 12:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Is there an easy way to add a small amp for the door and sail panel speakers? like maybe wire it in somehow near the oem monsoon amp? Say I get a 2 channel amp and using this diagram only hook up the amp for the front speakers and the sail panel speakers, and would I wire in the amp inline after the oem monsoon one or just bypass the monsoon one for those particular speakers? If not, now I have to spend even more money and find new or good used oem door and sail panel speakers and take everything apart again....smh

Last edited by Warren02SS; 07-24-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:48 PM
4th Gear Member

I ran a wire from my junction box with 25 amp fuse to the back of the car on passengers side an ran a big box plugged to my 3.5 plug in on the stereo to amp to box on my 95 has a newer stereo though,if you don't use the same ohm speakers 2 then that will happen ,there is a way to bye pass that ,but ussaly a different stereo makes its easyer ,though my my friend says he is going to show me how I can put some 4 omhs in the doors includes cutting some wires in my 99 with monsoon

Old 07-27-2016, 07:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i used crutchfield. called in and talked with them about what i had and wanted. they will take allot of there products back if you dont like it. went through 3 amps to get it were i wanted it. personally i dont think you will get what your wanting from stock headunit or amps and thats what the tech told me.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear member

I would try the wiring for the 2 ohm connections by reversing one of the coils in the DVC speakers. It should either improve or go to almost no sound.

The 2 ohm door speakers are not available new anywhere, but you should be able to find used ones on ebay.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, after experimenting with a few things I figured a few things out. I set the cutoff frequency on my headunit for the front speakers at 80hz and that completely fixed the crackling and static on the front speakers, however it seems like the sail panel subs get the bass signal from the front speakers as well because when I set the cutoff for the fronts at 80 it sounds like it also lowers the bass from the sails.
I then tried to lower the cutoff the next step down which was 63hz and the crackling started to comeback, so it seems like these speakers cant handle anything below about 70hz. I guess the stock front monsoon speakers can handle lower than that?
The speakers that I have are the level 3 "Premium" speakers on this page Camaro Page , and the installation instructions say to wire them up just like stock on the front doors and the factory monsoon amp already does the correct cutoffs for the tweeter and speaker Camaro Installation (The speakers did come with separate crossovers but the instructions say not to use them on Camaros).
I already ordered 2 brand new oem sail panel subs, and now for the fronts it looks like I have 2 choices. Either find good used or if I'm lucky new oem ones or install some Bass blockers for just the front 6.5 speakers on these cdt's. Do they even make bass blockers that cutoff at 80hz?
What a nightmare this is if I knew how this would've went I would've definitely stuck with the oem speakers all around they were good enough for me I just thought these would be much better. So far $500 in the hole and Its still not over.

Last edited by Warren02SS; 07-27-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:07 AM
4th Gear Member

there a pain could try the reversing the coils on both sides there is a way to do it ,my buddie said just need to bye pass the wires that are hooked to the box on each speaker,an the little compasitor take them out ,is what makes them hard to hook up anything thing else

Old 07-28-2016, 08:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I don't have a box on each speaker, I think that is only on the bose sound system equipped Camaros which have an amp right on each speaker. Its not like that on the monsoon for 2002

Old 07-28-2016, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Warren02SS
... so it seems like these speakers cant handle anything below about 70hz. I guess the stock front monsoon speakers can handle lower than that?
Your speakers are rated 70-20k.
CDT Audio CL-61CV

Strangely enough, the Level 2.5 ones are 50-20k.
HD-62CFX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are my new speakers defective?