Key stuck in ignition please help; camaro key coded is that a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:48 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Key stuck in ignition please help; camaro key coded is that a problem?

Key stuck in ignition please help; camaro key coded is that a problem?

ignition key is stuck in ignition

i have to fiddle with the socket area front which grinds and can damage the starter then back until it turns off

otherwise i have a running car with a key in it

sometimes i can take the key out but then it is still in start position running

it took me 15 minutes to finally jiggle it off

how much do mechanic shops usually charge including labor to fix this problem

also is that something any mechnanic shop can fix easily for like $150 including labor or is the Fact that a Camaro ignition key is coded will cost way more and might need the help of other professionals like a locksmith?

thanks for any help you could provide me, members.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear member

A couple of other things I forgot to mention:

I returned today and some mechanic shop (that many say is pricey) front desk lady told me that the steering or ignition lock might have to be replaced and it would cost: $350 which includes labor.

It may or may not be a problem since the Camaro car ignition keys are coded and have to specially reproduced.

Does this mean that I have to go to a GM Dealership and
1) Have this either ignition switch replaced because of this special Camaro key code? or
2) Ignition switch fixed / replaced?

*I want to clearly avoid dealership prices which are pricey

Yet that may be my only route since this is a special code key and it may be that if you get the ignition switch or ignition lock fixed, you'd have to get a new key?

It cost me $430 to get an oil leak repaired at a more reasonably costing shop

Does anyone have any idea on how much this problem would cost to fix?

It sounds like an hours worth of labor and I hope it only costs $170 which includes labor at the same shop which charged me $430 to fix my oil leak

After doing some cursory brief research, it's a more common problem than many know about

Thank you for any help you'd provide.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you tried cleaning it with electrical cleaner? maybe hit it with some lube after

Old 03-06-2016, 01:49 PM
2nd Gear member

sprayed wd 40 in key hole and "socket" / circle area that houses the key

the internet said this is an "ignition switch problem"
a competent quality repair shop that is expensive and pricey said it's an "ignition lock problem" and costs $350 to repair plus a $30 fee to get a new code key from the dealership so $380 in total

an inexpensive repair shop told me to fix my oil leak it would be $430
I am making an educated guess that this more cheaper yet quality repair shop might charge me $250 which includes labor

*i live in Fear of not being able to turn off my car and thus running out of gas, getting a ticket from the cops and having to burn off all the gas to turn the car off if I can't jiggle the ignition socket to turn off the car

A friend said a worse comes to worse a 3/8ths wrench can be used to disable the battery terminals to turn the car off

another said: no something like using a wire to turn off and there's a risk of an electrical shock

anyone know if using a 3/8th wrench to loosen the battery terminal would effectively turn off the starter system or the ignition system in a way that would not hurt the car as option 2?

(i need to save money to be able to have the wherewithal or ability to pay for this on my trip to the mechanic and not have to return home to call a tow truck to disable the car by methods they're trained in)

thanks again, Craby for your help

anyone else?

Originally Posted by craby
have you tried cleaning it with electrical cleaner? maybe hit it with some lube after

Old 03-06-2016, 06:50 PM
2nd Gear member

btw: 1 more thing a Ytube vid on any 90s GM car shows: removal of steering system using a steering wheel remover, disabling the airbag so it don't blow in ur face, and also an ohm or electrical reader which reads off codes (i guess) and other things needed. this ytube vid was only 16 min. long so it wasn't even an hours worth of labor that a repair shop would charge so i guess that's the good news for people who aren't really DIY

Old 03-06-2016, 07:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can flash codes on a 93.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look at 23 here 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids and look at 29 and 30 here https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...62/#post557634 download the factory service manual here https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti 93 firebird is same

Old 03-07-2016, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear member

thanks, a 93 camaro service manual on ebay is like 75 dollars. this saves me money as when i purchased my 4th gen. from the 2ndary individual used car market, it didn't come w/ a service manual which is usually found in the glove box. The next time, I'll drive my car it would be from my apartment complex's indoor garage to the mechanic shop. I figure that if I try to turn off my car at the mechanic shop (IN The Morning) and the ignition lock won't turn off, the mechanic can do it, then diagnose the problem definitively, then give me a repair price.

I stress that it'd be IN the Morning, so that the mechanic would have time to fix the problem the same day. Therefore, I can't risk going back if I don't have money for the repair, so it's bus and trolley time until I have like 300 bucks in my wallet. Hopefully, 270 dollars for the repair which includes labor and 30 bucks to get a key cut or a new key code, totalling 300 dollars.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:53 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your talking about the owners manual. theres a download on that link for that too. i found a factory service manual for 20 bucks on ebabe

Old 04-20-2016, 03:54 PM

Look here man... http://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance...l-install.html you are going to have to by a steering wheel puller, and a steering lock puller, and get the ignition out, and then bring it to a locksmith.

Are you at all comfortable with tools? If so, follow the instructions on this thread (sorry it's on another forum) and get the ignition out. Pretty simple if you still have the key because you insert the key to the on position and it slides right out.

Hope you get it done. Locksmith should charge $35 to rebuild the lock and maybe $50 for a new key.

Any locksmith can rebuild that lock for you.

it's also a good opportunity to install a custom wheel and get rid of the useless airbag!

Last edited by craby; 04-20-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Key stuck in ignition please help; camaro key coded is that a problem?