Headunit upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Headunit upgrade help

Im looking to upgrade the headunit in my 2002 SS coupe. I will most likely be going with the pioneer X3800BHS. I need some opinions on what to do with the trim panel around the radio I want it to fit nice without any gaps and look as close to oem as possible.
I see that the metra 99-3311b has a lot of mixed reviews saying there is gaps and the color doesn't match, so I think I will avoid that one.
Can I modify the stock bezel somehow to accept the double din radio?
I was also looking at the double d mods site and they seem to have some good looking bezels anyone have any experience with those?
There is also these on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/331586855596...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Also are there any tips/tricks to installing the headunit if I have the monsoon stereo w/cd changer? (I realize I will loose the cd changer)

Last edited by Warren02SS; 04-19-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:58 PM

1) Gotta do all new 4OHM speakers

2) Monsoon is all 2 OHM so toss that **** out

3) Might as well snake new wires because figuring out what is what is impossible

4) I have actually done this it's easy just takes time

5) Metra harness works great

6) Take out the back seat and add a huge dual 15 box

7) Drive fast

Any questions?

Old 04-20-2016, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

the metra adapter harness worked perfect for me as I retained stock speakers /AC delco stereo, costed under $10 on fleabay if i remember, otherwise everything the last guy said

Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Still didn't answer my main question lol, what have you guys done with the radio trim piece once you swapped in your new headunits? or is it that you don't need new trim pieces if you get the single din size radio. Do I really need to change out all the speakers and wiring if I want to change the headunit? I cant change just the headunit?

Lakerman: I'm confused why did you need the harness if you still used your stock stereo?

Old 04-20-2016, 07:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i got a plate with mine from crutc hfield. also got the conversion wiring harness for the aftermarket unit.

Name:  P9240001.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  76.4 KB

Last edited by craby; 04-20-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Julian Merghart
1) Gotta do all new 4OHM speakers

Wrong: He has to match whatever the new head unit requires.

2) Monsoon is all 2 OHM so toss that **** out

Wrong: Only the two mid-range 6" speakers in the doors are 2 ohms. The other 8 are not.

3) Might as well snake new wires because figuring out what is what is impossible

Wrong: The service manual is available and the wiring diagrams are accurate. The factory rear amp can be easily bypassed if desired.

4) I have actually done this it's easy just takes time

5) Metra harness works great

6) Take out the back seat and add a huge dual 15 box

7) Drive fast

Any questions?

Old 04-21-2016, 01:35 PM
4th Gear Member

the 98-02 has more room for the flat screens ,you want to put a regular head unit in the car, most guys are puting the flat screens with all the goodies hands free phones calls the right one should fit with stock bezal trim ,an or I think they make one for some flat screens I have seen some 6 7 inch ones in the 98-02 looking fine ,heck with cds when you got 2000 songs on mp3 ,measure ments should help ,they are cheap now too an are touch screen

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-21-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't make myself clear & apologize. I meant to say that I only swapped out to an aftermarket head unit as I wanted a CD player (car had cassette ac/delco system). I go the harness adapter form METRA real cheap and just plugged it in/crimped the wires together as they were color coded and kept the stock speakers. I plan to eventually do speakers, but its good right now & I enjoy listening to the engine when I drive...

Old 04-22-2016, 04:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
the 98-02 has more room for the flat screens ,you want to put a regular head unit in the car, most guys are puting the flat screens with all the goodies hands free phones calls the right one should fit with stock bezal trim ,an or I think they make one for some flat screens I have seen some 6 7 inch ones in the 98-02 looking fine ,heck with cds when you got 2000 songs on mp3 ,measure ments should help ,they are cheap now too an are touch screen
95 Camaro: I mentioned in the beginning I wanted to install a pioneer x3800bhs, that is a flat screen.
I figured out my speaker situation I will be doing the same thing mentioned here http://www.illinoiscamaroclub.com/fo...onsoon-system/
I already found and purchased the same exact speakers (not that many around they don't make them anymore), except I was forced to purchase them (the infinity kappas) in a pack of 4, can I use these as sail panel speaker upgrades as well ( I realize the tweeter wont be functional on the kappas in the sail panels) or will I get better bass with the stock woofers.

Last edited by Warren02SS; 04-22-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Warren02SS
95 Camaro: I mentioned in the beginning I wanted to install a pioneer x3800bhs, that is a flat screen.
I figured out my speaker situation I will be doing the same thing mentioned here Replacing Front Speakers With A Stock Monsoon System - Invision Power Board
I already found and purchased the same exact speakers (not that many around they don't make them anymore), except I was forced to purchase them (the infinity kappas) in a pack of 4, can I use these as sail panel speaker upgrades as well ( I realize the tweeter wont be functional on the kappas in the sail panels) or will I get better bass with the stock woofers.
Here is a pic of my headunit with the Metra double din install kit:

Name:  20160423_201011.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  514.3 KB

I used the door and sail panel speakers from the Level 2 package shown at this website Firebird and Camaro Speaker Package

I replaced the rear hatch speakers with just a pair of Kicker CS4 speakers. I'm also running a 10" sub in the space where a CD changer would be in the trunk.

Quick Reply: Headunit upgrade help