Audio Question

Old 10-05-2015, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Audio Question

So I just wanted to run something by you guys to see if you can diagnose the issue I'm having. In my '95 Z, I just installed new Rockford Fosgate door speakers as the old factory BOSE speakers were in terrible shape...the driver's side one had a tear in it from the previous owner. Well after some modification to the speaker adapter, the installation went excellent, or at least so I thought. See this whole project originally started because the driver's side door speaker was much more quiet than the rest and I was thinking it was because of the tear. But after I got the new speakers hooked up, the driver's side one still sounded extremely quiet, it didn't seem to me that it made any difference. Do you know what would cause this? (The RF speakers are 4 Ohms while the BOSE ones were 2 Ohms, but I do have an aftermarket deck.)

I know the speakers are in working order as they were tested, and the HU is an aftermarket Pioneer deck, and while its not perfect (the faceplate "shorts" out), its never had an issue producing sound. So I'm kinda stumped. Do you think it has something to do with the wiring? Perhaps the speakers were plugged into the HU wrong when Circuit City did the initial install? I plan on getting a new HU sometime this winter for a spring install next year.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

- Sean

Old 10-07-2015, 12:38 PM
4th Gear Member

could be the 4 ohms ,they add so much crap to thse cars ,what ever happen to 2 wires ,2 screws an done ,now it inside of a box ,the wires that hook to the box could try hooking up direct ,i had mine part one time ,nothing like old shcool ,they make everything ,so muc harder then it has to be ,i think theres an ohms senser there bypass it

Old 10-08-2015, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Could be the original wire is just getting old and has some extra resistance to it after all these years. Never know. Grab an Ohmeter or something to test resistance, and check the wires if you get a chance. If it's indicating that it's even got some resistance in there (it's going to have a VERY small amount if it's good), I'd strip-out and replace.

I don't know a whole lot about the stock Monsoon amplifier, but I did read that it's got some funky crossover impedance for the speakers. It's rated for... I think 2 Ohms at the doors, and 4 Ohms at the sails with their stock 'woofer' setup. Call me out if I'm wrong there.

I just by-passed the amp in my car when I threw new drivers at it. It'll get stripped out entirely here soon enough for a proper amplifier for component drivers instead of those stock coaxial ones.

Even if you're still using the stock wiring, I would run new wires to play safe if the continuity check doesn't check out. That way, if you ever do put some more aggressive drivers anywhere in the car, it'll be safe to run no matter what.
Make sure that the wires running from your harness are good as well. If something is frayed/worn in there, I would just order a new harness and re-wire it.

My car had the harness completely cut off via wire snips and was soldered to the head unit, so I had to start from ground zero basically.

Last edited by Thefoodman52; 10-08-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
could be the 4 ohms ,they add so much crap to thse cars ,what ever happen to 2 wires ,2 screws an done ,now it inside of a box ,the wires that hook to the box could try hooking up direct ,i had mine part one time ,nothing like old shcool ,they make everything ,so muc harder then it has to be ,i think theres an ohms senser there bypass it
Don't you mean 2 wires and 4 screws? I agree though. I miss the good old days when a stereo could be hooked up without a degree in electrical engineering. If you're going aftermarket I'd replace the monsoon amps. I'm not sure what they put out but alpine has an inline amp that has 45w rms I'm getting when I've got the extra cash.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear member

I suspect the Pioneer deck has a fault in the left side. Does the balance control do anything?

Old 06-21-2016, 02:34 AM
Default here's your issue

All Bose car audio systems are designed just like the home system and that's 1 amped channel per speaker and in the car audio division the amps are built onto each speaker individually.
You can't use the stock speaker connections for ANY car equipped with a Bose system. And no you can't integrate it like some other premium systems. You need to run new wires from your stereo to each speaker, bypassing the factory wiring. And you can not use the Bose head unit with aftermarket speakers. The stock Bose radio is low level output designed to be a amp signal to the preamped Factory speakers.

You must run a new head unit, speakers, & wires.

Also the doors have a crossover that could easily be bad. It separates the 1" tweet signal from the mid. Just run new wires an you'll be good to go

Last edited by SgtAirborne; 06-21-2016 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Ps
Old 06-22-2016, 11:37 AM
4th Gear Member

there not bose hear there monsoon .from 98 I think so

Old 06-05-2018, 05:29 PM

I have a 1995 Camaro plain jane car with the factory delco Bose system. Had an aftermarket Pioneer stereo installed and would like what all is involved and how to bypass the factory amp or amps because the stereo sounds like crap like it is. I know the stereo sounds better than it does now cause I had it in my truck before. HELP!!!!!!!!