WTF.... my 400 HP lost to a supposedly stock NISSAN 240sx.... HELP!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Default WTF.... my 400 HP lost to a supposedly stock NISSAN 240sx.... HELP!

So, I'm at just over 400 hp, dyno proven. SMALL LIST, hotcam full kit, roller rockers, lt4 intake, full k&n, computer flashed and programmed etc.... blah blah... anyways, kid with a APPARENTLY stock 240sx races me in the quarter (street race)... I get two cars ahead off the start while still burning out.... THAN his engine gets SUPER loud and sounds like it's going to blow, shoots flames out the exhaust and he launches TWO CAR LENGTHS on me! WHAT THE FUDGE! I say nitrous, but he says no. Says it's STOCK internals and stock head gasket etc. All he put on it was a turbo.... I HAVE AROUND 4k into my f'ing tranny... he bought a junk yard turbo kit and wins???? ANY THOUGHTS? OR HELP ON UPPING MY HP CHEAP? I have a full ZEX kit with full purge etc... haven't ran it cause I hear the LT1's have head gasket issues, especially with nitrous... so what shot can I use without damaging the car??? GAY!!!! I'm so pissed, I've been beating up to 2005 Corvette's and a 98 Viper... NOW A LITTLE NISSAN WINS!!! GRRRRRRRRR

Old 10-11-2009, 02:28 AM
June '09 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

first of all how bout u lighten up a bit. second sounds like u r little too heavy into street racing, u might wanna take it to the track. and the words 'cheap' and 'horsepower' never go good together. besides there is always some1 out there that is faster so mod your car because u like to, not because u have something to prove by beating other cars.

so i wouldn't go making any rash decisions like slapping a nitrous kit on just because a ricer handed u your ***.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

it aint gonna have been stock, and if you dont know jap cars dont race them. my pal has a skyline gts-t sngle turbo, the 2.5 engine. Dunno what the 240sx had in depending on year but could have been just the 2.0 turbo.

Regardless, the bottom ends on the turbos are typically quite strong and you can up the boost on the turbo from like 0.7bar stock (on the skyline) to around 1.1bar max, and add around 100bhp. My pal did this and pushed just under 400 in a car 400lb lighter than the camaro. He would kick my ***.

On his stock boost i only pulled 2 cars on him when my car was stock. So dont mess with ricers who claim they are stock.

Anyways, the "cheapest" mod you cam go for is a bigger cam, might make 20-30 hp more, other than that you know it gets more expesive!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 AM
3rd Gear Member

yea.. around where i live it is 99% imports, civics, integras, and maximas. alot of them that have stick shift, when they want to launch hard they rev up then drop it in first. but in the week that Ive got the z28 its chewed up quite few of them. and like the other guy said, take it easy with the street racing, if you get caught i think the cops take your car.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:21 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

No way it's stock with just a turbo. there is more to that engine than that. if your putting down 400 at the wheels, and he sets up with just a turbo and beats you, there is a lot more to that engine.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:42 PM
June '09 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

also hp is not everything. 400 to the wheels means nothing if u can't hook, or if your power to weight sux, or if your power band is all wrong. i kno i have raced a couple cars for the fun of it, that on paper should have beat me bad. but some how i pull them every time...maybe they need the driver mod? or maybe its something more that just can't be accounted for on paper. at any rate none of it really matters, what matters is how much you like your car. i have 3 camaro SS's because i love them not because i think they are the hottest thing on the street. respect will get you farther than horsepower, everytime.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 PM
ROTM Director
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
respect will get you farther than horsepower, everytime.
^^ x2

Old 10-11-2009, 05:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

yep cheers to that, i got a 88 taurus that i think is "hotter" than the z28

Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

lighter car with decent amount of hp will win everytime, 4g63 turbo eclipses are bullet proof. I owned one myself that was close to 400 whp. I ran high 12's all day. so really I am not surprised. And they were good to almost 450 whp on stock internals. Really u need to just learn to drive/launch better or quit street racing and practice at a track

Old 10-12-2009, 08:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The stock internals of a US 240sx motor will allow very little boost, maybe 225hp at most. It can, however be built to withstand huge boost, and well over 400hp. The liklihood here is stock internals but it's a JDM motor, either a rb20det even possibly a six cylinder Skyline motor. Either one can be had easily on eBay, and is pretty much bolt in. Those can make a ton of power on stock internals; more than enough to blow off a 400hp z28.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTF.... my 400 HP lost to a supposedly stock NISSAN 240sx.... HELP!