Winter tires and winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Default Winter tires and winter driving

Hi All,

For those of you brave enough to drive your 4th gens through the winter what has been your experience with winter driving. Do you use winter tires?

Me personally I drive a 95 z28, I have bridgestone winterforces (215/60/16) on all fours with sandbags in the back. I live in Pittsburgh which is notorious for it's hilly terrain and harsh winters. I try to avoid driving in the snow/ice as much as possible but over the weekend I kinda had no choice. I was very impressed with how the car handled the snow covered roads considering camaros are considered to be horrible in the snow. I did slip and slide a little bit going up a hill, but overall I was very satisfied with how the winterforce tires performed.

Whats been everyone else experience?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

low center of gravity helps a lot; never had issues with my fbodies in the winter. A good set of tires and a bit of weight is all you need (along with proper dribing habitats of course)

Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Just throw some sand bags in the back and it handles just as good in the snow as my all wheel drive Subaru's.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Javs_is_fat
Just throw some sand bags in the back and it handles just as good in the snow as my all wheel drive Subaru's.
I wouldn't go that far.

But I'm using OE style rear all season tires, no sandbags and I have very little problems in the snow. 2nd and 3rd gear are my best friends...occasionally 1st when it gets real bad.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear member

I have all season tires on my car but one slip of the clutch or throttle and the rear breaks loose. The weight distribution of LT cars is around 56/44 which isn't great and the fact that I have 275 rears doesn't help without sand bags (more surface area on the ground = less weight pushing down on per tread) so I slide around the top layer of snow.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Overdrive Member

I have all seasons and 40 lbs of kitty litter and 4 gallons of windshield cleaner in the rear. Works pretty good, but the tread is getting low on the front tires -- time to change them soon, rears are new. As for icy/wet roads or slick snow -- watch out and be extra cautious no matter what tires you have!

I would also say I like the way the car handles better in the winter since I've added the LSD carrier.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I have all season tires. I don't think any tire saves a 4th gen in the snow. I drive my threw the snow a lot. ( also in Pa ) And the thing sucks. It feels like its floating in the air. I just glide home when driving it in the snow

Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

oh its okay while the snow is soft. Its when its REALLY Cold and gets hard after it stops. that's hell

Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I use bridgestone blizzaks on my stock 16's, and maybe put a big bag of salt or sand in the back depending on the conditions. I've been able to get through Wisconsin winters pretty good. It is scary at times and very challenging but also a S* load of fun

Old 02-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Overdrive Member
Question

I would be curious to hear more about your Blizzaks and how much difference you notice with those vs. all season tires?

TIA

Originally Posted by RPDRed6
I use bridgestone blizzaks on my stock 16's, and maybe put a big bag of salt or sand in the back depending on the conditions. I've been able to get through Wisconsin winters pretty good. It is scary at times and very challenging but also a S* load of fun

Quick Reply: Winter tires and winter driving