Who's done what to there 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Default Who's done what to there 4th gen?

So I took out our 97 RS 3.8 convertible from storage 3 weeks ago. Because of the weather here lately in New Hampshire haven't driven it much. But I did do some work to it and the list is below.

Installed (4) drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads.
While I was installing the new rotors, I noticed the bumper stops were rotting away and replaced them.
Replaced the AC compressor, that was not easy. In doing so, I snapped off the oil sensor tightening the front (4) bolts. And replaced that.
While I was reinstalling the serpentine belt I noticed both idler and tension pulleys were plastic and faceted from wear. So I replaced them with AC Delco steel ones.
Replaced the leaky high pressure power steering hose.
I replaced the pain in the butt wheel locks with regular lug nuts.
And last, I just put BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2's on, 245's in front and 255's in the back. Nice look and grippy. I'm not hooked on the pads yet, still making dust on my wheels. They came free with the rotors so I gave them a try.

Finally it was sunny and warm yesterday, let the wife drive it and she says what a difference, "I just love not putting the brakes on to turn this car!" Beautiful I said to myself.

All this work was fairly simple and not all that expensive except the tires. I do have to thank my Bro, Bob for giving me a hand with the compressor and letting me use his lift in his garage to perform most of this work.

Next is to find the small oil leak, I can smell it burning off the exhaust sometimes. I thought it was the passenger valve cover dripping down but there all tight. Could be the oil pan gasket.

Enjoy the summer folks!

Dave

Old 05-15-2016, 02:17 PM
4th Gear Member

we had such a mild winter my 99 base model was only in storage 60 days I had mine out since febuary 29th ,with no snow this year ,now my 95 406 just got it on the road after front end conversion after a wreck last year if you read you can see what other people have done to there cars 93-02 projects so on each persons garage ,to much to list on my 95,i do like the RS cars for 96 97 not many of them stay together ,I would like the kit from 96 around to the front then the 2 side pieces for the front from 98-02 where they called is a sport appearance package wich I have on the 99 an want on my 95 ,

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 05-15-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

most times oil leak is the ends of the intake. back and front end have gasket maker for seal and if not done just right they leak after a few years.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:09 PM

Thanks Guys! Craby I'll check into that suggestion.

Dave

Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, reread and you have a 3.8,,, sorta went on by that the first time. they dont seem to have an issue with the intake leaking oil. check your oil pressure sensor/switch, should be at the back behind the intake. they are prone to leakage, the sensor itself gets a lose seal or something inside and leaks from it.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:24 AM
4th Gear Member

yes a pan leak falls to the ground does not get on the headers ,alot of guys try to do them before they become a problem like around 100.000 or less I am keeping a close eye on my 99 because of its age ,on these if you can get the leak in time the car can go another 100.000 ,

Old 05-19-2016, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I feel like this thread got off topic as I think the op wanted to know what everyone had done to their cars lol.
95 z28
LT headers/exhaust/hooker areo muffler with borla dual tips
CAI
High flow Mass air/throttle body air foil
Hypertech tune
New front shocks, need rear now.
My car is really clean but there is quit a list of things I want/need done. Headliner is beginning to come down, need new springs I think, something in the rear making noise. New front bumper cover, new upper plastic dash piece, paint job would be nice lol. Also want new wheels, thinking torque thrust or similar 5 spokes.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:44 AM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I went out today and yelled at my car for about 20 minutes.

then proceeded to cut the throttle cable too short

yelled at it again and kicked a wrench laying on the ground

called summit and ordered another one

the end

Old 05-19-2016, 01:48 PM
4th Gear Member
Default oil leak

Originally Posted by 95z28man
I feel like this thread got off topic as I think the op wanted to know what everyone had done to their cars lol.
95 z28
LT headers/exhaust/hooker areo muffler with borla dual tips
CAI
High flow Mass air/throttle body air foil
Hypertech tune
New front shocks, need rear now.
My car is really clean but there is quit a list of things I want/need done. Headliner is beginning to come down, need new springs I think, something in the rear making noise. New front bumper cover, new upper plastic dash piece, paint job would be nice lol. Also want new wheels, thinking torque thrust or similar 5 spokes.
he also talked about an oil leak too,an those of us that have a garage set up ,an or project threads is the best way to see what people have in there car 350 to 406 projects if I got into mine I would be like 3 pages long ,he can go there an see,sorry to hear about that cheeks you got a good sence of humor though

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 05-19-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:29 PM

Hey all, just got back from travel, Thanks for the replies. The sun should come out tomorrow so I'll finally get to drive my car!

Dave

Quick Reply: Who's done what to there 4th gen?